How to Insure Car Without a Driver

xylinx

My father recently died leaving my disabled mother. She cannot drive and does not have a license. She has full time caregivers and we would like to have them drive my mothers car to take her places, shop, etc. This car is owned in full, no loan.

I need insurance to register the car. When I try to get a quote, the insurance companies I have called want to take the caregivers driving record into account. This is inconvenient because:

- Caregivers will come and go. 24/7 coverage means multiple caregivers who we obtain through an agency. So it would be a maintenance headache.

- I really think we should have minimal liability. The agency has liability insurance and they require their caregivers to have auto insurance. If there
is an accident where a caregiver is at fault, her insurance should cover the liability, and perhaps even damage to our car. When would the car owner be liable? Could a umbrella policy be needed.

- The caregivers driving record is already factored into her insurance rates. Why should my rates be affected by this.

When I speak with agents, I don't think they are understanding the issue correctly. What do you fine folks think would be a good way to solve this problem. Surely I cannot be the only one to have this issue.

Thanks,
Xylinx

Anyone who drives the car on a regular basis should be listed on the policy.

If an accident occurs, the policy insuring the car is primary, the caregivers would be secondary. Yes, your mothers policy pays, though the accident would be rated to the driver, not the car.

For rating purposes, you can usually supply proof that the 'caregiver' is insured elsewhere with their own car and then it will have minimal affect on your rates. This isn't always true and not all carriers will do this, since the risk is on them and it sounds like it is routine and regular driving, even though perhaps not that often.

Dan

The registration doesn't matter unless opening a new policy, you must put the car insurance under an existing policy. It is the only way or else you must assign a driver and they will look at the drivers history. But if they get into an accident and car is insured under you, then you are liable for the accident/death etc.

Insurance coverage for a car is very much important and in this concern you must have it. If you are not well in driving or you have not hired an efficient driver, the insurance cost will be higher than the expectation as there will be high chance of accidents. I suggest to hire a driver for a short period of time until whole of the process is being completed and it is expected that meantime you will learn the easier task of driving. Thanks for the conversation…

Back