How Much Does my Policy Cover Me?

ny86

Expert
Hi,

I have insurance under my dad and i want to me sure i know the correct amount that covers me from an accident i was involved with.

I put in a claim for no-fault benefits. My medical bills are 150K and I missed 2 months of work as well.

My policy states the following:

Bodily Injury $100,000 each person $300,000 each accident

Uninsured Motorist $25,000 each person , $50,000 each accident

Mandatory PIP $50,000

Additional PIP $150,000

What is my insurance required to pay?

you should be fine getting the medical bills paid since you have 200K in PIP.

as far as loss of income, the answer to your question is state specific. some states include loss of income into pip/medical benefits, other states don't (but may offer it as additional coverage). I assume you're from NY based on your screen name. I don't know their laws.

the easy way to tell is to read your policy and see if loss of income is included with your PIP. If not, you will probably have to eat the lost income part of it because you didn't list it among the coverages you have.

you should be fine getting the medical bills paid since you have 200K in PIP.

as far as loss of income, the answer to your question is state specific. some states include loss of income into pip/medical benefits, other states don't (but may offer it as additional coverage). I assume you're from NY based on your screen name. I don't know their laws.

the easy way to tell is to read your policy and see if loss of income is included with your PIP. If not, you will probably have to eat the lost income part of it because you didn't list it among the coverages you have.

Thanks so much for your answer!

Yes i am from NY. My accident occurred in Florida. My insurance is claiming they exhausted the 50K and wont pay for income loss. I don't get why if I have 200K in benefits.

without reading your dad's policy, I can't tell you why additional pip coverage was denied.

my guess would be one of three reasons:

1. additional pip is excluded for out of state accidents ... or ..
2. additional pip is excluded for permissive use drivers.
3. additional pip is excluded for vehicles not listed on the policy.

are you listed as a driver on your dad's auto insurance policy?

does the vehicle in question belong to you or your dad? (if it's your vehicle, perhaps your dad listed you on the policy as a driver but did not insure the vehicle).

again, I'm only taking wild guesses. without reading the language of the policy, it's really hard for me to say.

Last edited:
without reading your dad's policy, I can't tell you why additional pip coverage was denied.

my guess would be one of three reasons:

1. additional pip is excluded for out of state accidents ... or ..
2. additional pip is excluded for permissive use drivers.
3. additional pip is excluded for vehicles not listed on the policy.

are you listed as a driver on your dad's auto insurance policy?

does the vehicle in question belong to you or your dad? (if it's your vehicle, perhaps your dad listed you on the policy as a driver but did not insure the vehicle).

again, I'm only taking wild guesses. without reading the language of the policy, it's really hard for me to say.

im a household member covered for PIP coverage under my dad.

This was an out-of-state accident in Florida in a renter car.

didn't know it was a rental car.... that opens up another can of worms!

that's probably why the additional pip did not apply.

to be honest, be lucky that New York has whacky laws, and you received the mandatory pip coverage. in the six states that I work in, I don't believe you would have been covered at all, given all these odd variables.

Last edited:
Wow you have a serious handful here. Im not good with east coast policies. But for fun what company are you insured with? I have heard of small companies cutting your coverages when you leave the state to the current states minimum liability!

Also, did you purchase any rental car coverage??

Back