How to Write a Letter to Appeal a Disputed Claim?

dayan91

Hello,

I have never wrote an appeal letter to dispute a claim before and I wanted to know how to go about it.

Also, what kind of supported documentations can I attach with the letter to support my claim? Unfortunately, the only proof I have are the text messages, that were exchanged between me and the other party member that was involved in the accident, in which the other member admitted to rear ending my car.

Thanks.

The other party member's insurance (Traveler's) is disputing the claim.

Last edited:
In general, statements from the other party are not that relevant in determining fault, even if they admitted fault. It has to be based on facts.

In most cases, when you get rear-ended, the other person is usually deemed at fault, though there are exceptions to this. What reason did the carrier give you for denying the claim?

Also the best way to deal with this is to file the claim through your own carrier and let them work on subrogation back to travelers. You will be out your deductible up front, but if your carrier can get reimbursed, they will reimburse your deductible.

The other option is small claims court.

Dan

So, here is the situation:

I was rear ended by the other party member and we decided to do this under the table and not have insurance and the police involved. So we exchanged our information and discussed through text messages on how to fix the damages on my bumper. However, after several disagreements I decided to file a claim through my insurance (All State). All State tried to go after the other party member, but their insurance (Travelers) denied liability for their insured because of the lack of police report so they took their insured' words over mine stating how I backed up into them.

They gave me the right to write a letter to appeal it, but the only proof I have are the text messages where the other member admitted to rear ending me.

What are my options? Will those text messages hold up?

dayan91, did you ever take any photos at the scene? Did the other driver ever send you a check for this loss? At the very least, contact your carrier and offer to send screenshots of the text messages. They will likely pursue subrogation against the other insurance carrier through Arb Forums if they are able to obtain some sort of evidence to support your claim. Arb Forums is a bit like the wild west, but any good insurance rep will try to argue your case with whatever documentation they can gather. Good luck.

Back