I Have an Insured Driving a Rental Car into Canada

KPIA

Expert
Hello fellow agents,

Needing some advice here. I know that Canada has compulsory insurance laws and that the "Canada Inter-Province Motor Vehicle Liability Insurance Card" is used to prove coverage if you are taking an insured vehicle into Canada. However, what do you do if the insured is renting a car (therefore you don't have the "make/model/VIN" that is required on the card)?

I spoke to a couple rental agencies near the border and they say they don't issue Canada ID Cards and that the insured "should" be fine just carrying their US Insurance ID Card on their owned vehicle, even while driving a rental.

Anyone with experience on this? Will a Canadian cop accept that should the insured get pulled over? I don't want my insured fined or ending up in a Canadian Labor Camp (sarcasm) for not carrying proof of insurance.

TIA for anyone that can help me.

I know that our carriers have a seperate ID card for travel in Canada, it would have thier own vehicle information on it, but that coverage should transfer over to the rental car. So as long as they had a copy of the rental agreement and the id card, they should be set.

I havent ever had this issue, but what would the difference be in not having a Canadian Drivers License?

I would think both would "transfer" over.

This post is for the benefit of anyone who may find this thread in the future searching for the answer to the same question I had.

Ultimately, after talking to rental agencies and canadian govertment officials with customs and the visitor's bureau, the answer seems to be: Yeah, Canada cards are required but noone ever really asks for them, unless they get pulled over or in an accident. So I sent the insured off with a Canada card for his owned vehicle and told him to keep the rental agreement handy. The general consensus among everyone I spoke to was that a good faith effort to prove coverage will satisfy the requirement of carrying proof of insurance.

Back