If a Friend Drives my Car, Does my Liability Insurance Cover It?

Each company is different, but you just want to avoid the threshold for when it's not permissive use anymore.

Each company is different, but the companies I work with in Florida generally consider operating the vehicle more than once a week on average or 5 times in a month or similar amounts more than permissive use.

We have one company that considers a person who has 24 hour access to the vehicle a frequent operator. Say there's a relative in town for 2 days. This company wants you to add them to your policy until they leave. A bit much if you ask me.

Each company is different, but you just want to avoid the threshold for when it's not permissive use anymore.

Each company is different, but the companies I work with in Florida generally consider operating the vehicle more than once a week on average or 5 times in a month or similar amounts more than permissive use.

We have one company that considers a person who has 24 hour access to the vehicle a frequent operator. Say there's a relative in town for 2 days. This company wants you to add them to your policy until they leave. A bit much if you ask me.

That's an excellent point USF. In Ontario, we have to disclose all drivers that live in the household, as they would have access to the vehicle any time.

Florida is similar. It appears Ontario might have an equivalent to what we call Personal Injury Protection (No-fault). 16-17 US states have it. It extends coverage to relatives residing in the same household. There are other scenarios too where it extends. If you hit a homeless person who is a resident of the state, your PIP will extend to him, even if you are considered not at-fault in the accident.

We have to list all household members in some way or another. We usually end up having them excluded.

Back