Impact of 1 Point on CA Premiums

Altinba

Hi,
I read on numerous places that at least in California, "a single point on your license shouldn't affect your premiums". I even saw in one place that CA law prohibits auto insurance companies from hiking rates after just a single 1-point moving violation. (Consecutive points are a different story altogether, of course.)

I decided to look into it further: I ran some simple queries at the CA Dept. of Insurance website, and it was clear that a single traffic ticket would easily raise your rates by $400+ a year, no matter which company you have. Then I found an investigative article by SFGate, that a single violation will definitely boost your premium. It seems that even the 'experts' were confused by the results.
The forum doesn't allow me to post links, so for the sources you'll have to Google "CA department 2014 automobile insurance" and "A single moving violation will boost insurance premium - SFGate".

What's your first-hand experience with this?

(PS I'm aware of the traffic school system, "hiding" a point etc.)

Been selling auto ins. in CA for 3 yrs. rates typically go up with any amount of points on the record as opposed to a clean record.

Hi,
I read on numerous places that at least in California, "a single point on your license shouldn't affect your premiums". I even saw in one place that CA law prohibits auto insurance companies from hiking rates after just a single 1-point moving violation. (Consecutive points are a different story altogether, of course.)

I decided to look into it further: I ran some simple queries at the CA Dept. of Insurance website, and it was clear that a single traffic ticket would easily raise your rates by $400+ a year, no matter which company you have. Then I found an investigative article by SFGate, that a single violation will definitely boost your premium. It seems that even the 'experts' were confused by the results.
The forum doesn't allow me to post links, so for the sources you'll have to Google "CA department 2014 automobile insurance" and "A single moving violation will boost insurance premium - SFGate".

What's your first-hand experience with this?

(PS I'm aware of the traffic school system, "hiding" a point etc.)

Not only increase the insurance premium also there is a chance for suspension of your driving privilege and possible loss of employment benefits and poor credit rating.

I'm confused why this is an issue. Its not unique to CA, I don't know of any state where your driving record isn't considered in your insurance premiums.

Besides, since you can go to school and hide the first one, the one you see is the second one, or someone who thought doing the school thing was a waste of time.

Why is this a story?

How does this impact your credit rating?

I find that yes 1 point = aprox. $400-600 Increase in premium.

Traffic School doesn't hide the point, there are no points if you go to traffic school.

^^Credit Rating is not considered in CA for personal auto.

Back