Insurance with Co-owner

Driver549

My husband and I co-own all 4 vehicles in our household. I changed insurance coverage to another company on two of the vehicles (my auto and our son's auto) but ran into a problem and my insurance was cancelled after a month. My husband had let his driver's license expire. Since he did not have a current valid DL, the insurance was canceled. I have asked him repeatedly to go get a new license, but he is dragging his feet. Also, my vehicle registration needs to be renewed by the end of the month. I can't do that without insurance.

My son and I are stuck in a position where we can't drive our vehicles, and can't seem to find a way out. Is there any insurance company that will only insure one, not both, owners of the vehicle? Any advise is appreciated.

He's liable as co-owner regardless of who drives the car, so it would be irresponsible for any company not to insure him the same as you. Is there a reason you decided to insure only two of the cars elsewhere?

Yes, at the time, my husband was working/living out of state. Our daughter was with him. Since the vehicles were garaged out of state, the new insurance company could not insure them. (They are both back in state now.)

The new insurance company would have been cheaper. We also have our homeowner's insurance there, so we would have saved on that as well.

That's odd... Usually, even if garaged out of state temporarily, the insurance company would still provide coverage if the car registration hadn't changed.

I'm not sure what company you have, but perhaps you can find one that will exclude him as a driver until he fixes his license issue? Does he have an active drivers license in the state that he was located in?

Since we did not know how long he would be living out of state, the company couldn't really insure those vehicles. They did insure my son's car, which is garaged out of state, as he is in the military and is still in MOS school.

My husband does not have DL from state he was living in.

If the cars weren't re-registered to the other state, the insurance company should've continued coverage on them regardless of where they were garaged and especially since your primary owned residence was still in that state.

I would just see if you can exclude him as a driver and put yourself as first named insured.

Whatever you do, don't let a lapse occur otherwise you're looking at severely increased rates (dependent on your state of course, I'm in FL and continuous prior is a big deal here!)

The original insurance company did continue coverage on my husband's truck and my daughter's vehicle. They still have coverage on their vehicles - at least until the policy needs to be renewed this fall.

As stated in my original post, insurance on my vehicle and my son's vehicle were canceled after a month with the new company. So, we have no insurance on our vehicles.

I would think the easiest fix right now to get coverage would be to call your husbands carrier insuring to other two cars and add them to the policy. Don't call the agent. Just call the carrier directly and add the two cars. If his carrier is out of state still they will probably require you to register the cars within 60 days in that state. Of course don't do that. This should just buy you some time until your husbands DL gets renewed. Then when you go shopping again you can prove you had prior coverage probably without lapse. Dependent on some state laws. But I think this could work. What state are you in? Call an independent agent in your state. They will figure It out. Www.trustedchoice.com You can find an agent through this.

You and your son are the ones that moved and your husband and daughter stayed behind? When you stated that you needed to renew your registration I assumed that it was the opposite way around.

As for the cars being uninsured, insurance companies are required to provide notice of cancellation for a future effective date which allows you time to find other insurance (I assume this is the same state to state). Were you not provided this?

I am in Arkansas. All vehicles are registered in Arkansas. Thank you so much for the advise, AdvisorsIns.

----------

You and your son are the ones that moved and your husband and daughter stayed behind? When you stated that you needed to renew your registration I assumed that it was the opposite way around.

As for the cars being uninsured, insurance companies are required to provide notice of cancellation for a future effective date which allows you time to find other insurance (I assume this is the same state to state). Were you not provided this?

No, I did not move. My husband and daughter did. Please re-read original post.

Yes, we were given notice of cancellation. Like I said, my husband has been dragging his feet and has not done what he needs to in order to maintain/obtain insurance coverage.

Last edited:
Back