Insurance for New Arrivals to America

chrisdownunder

I have come across another case of insurance companies ripping off "foreigners". I have been driving for 30 years in Australia (accident free), but been in the country and held a NJ drivers licence for 12 months. Yet my driving experience is considered same as a teenager.
No insurance companies are interested in verifying my 30 years of save driving in Australia, someone should tell them that there is a world outside of the U.S.
Yet another of the frustrations faced by "outsiders" living in the U.S.

I know some, if not all, of the companies I work with will give you a good driving credit if you provide your driving record from your home country (assuming it's one where they actually keep track of that stuff, which I'm sure Australia does). However it's up to you to get the information and provide it to the insurer. They're not going to go to the trouble and expense of knowing how to order drivers abstracts from every country that provides them. I live 30 miles from the Canadian border and get clients who move down here all the time. All they have to do is get their license and insurance history and they're good to go. The bigger problem for them is not having any established credit history.

Chris, if you are still stateside after you have had a US license for 3 years, you should qualify for standard auto insurance, and will be rated on your age in NJ (unless auto insurance ratings laws have changed since I lived there).

The way I started in US was to go to a small agency and get a basic car insurance. Then waited for 3-4 months before trying with a big insurance provider. That worked for me. No looking back since then.

Most carriers do not "surcharge" if there is no history. I worked for a captive that did, but none of the carriers (indpt) do that. If you provide documentation it shouldnt be an issue. Credit may.

Im an agent in NJ and have a few clients with prior insurance in a different country. As long as they provide me proof of a declaration page & MVR, I was able to provide them insurance with continuous insurance coverage. Contact me if you need assistance.

Latest posts

Back