Insurance and Window/glass Florida

axeman462

Guru
1000 Post Club
Florida
I had my car broken into last night. broke Driver door window and the quarter window (small triangle window behind the rear door window)

called my insurance company (state farm) told them about it, and asked if it covered. they said yes, but only after the deductible. I later find about " Florida statute 627.7288" which says "Deductibles do not apply to glass" (because the glass is considered a safety device). But I am not sure if this only applies to the windshield or not. Does this rule also apply to the side windows? I am wanting to believe state farm, but a buddy of mine insists that it applies to all windows.

I already got a quote for the repair, it is estimated to come to about $550. My deductible on my insurance is $500. i would much rather have my insurance pay if possible, seeing as how I pay for it and never use it. but if i have to pay the deductible, i aint gonna bother filing a claim.

I'm not licensed in FL, but that statute clearly says 'windshield'.

Statutes & Constitution :View Statutes : Online Sunshine

You should see if State Farm offers either a lower comprehensive deductible or at least a lower glass deductible. No real harm in filing this claim, if its just an oddball claim and not one of many. Again, I'm not licensed in FL, check with your agent, but it shouldn't affect rates at all, unless you have filed other comprehensive claims recently.

Dan

I'm licensed in Florida. Windshields only are deductible-free if you have comprehensive coverage.

How many estimates did you get for the repair?

If you ever have to file a windshield claim, make sure to file the claim first. Glass fraud is on the rise and the insurance companies are being cautious. They want to inspect the damage before agreeing to pay the claim. Joe Schmo's Auto Glass is out there soliciting his shady business in parking lots.

Back