Insurance for a Work Trailer

chp

Super Genius
100+ Post Club
SC
Quick question for you experts out there.....

We are starting to get involved in P&C and have a client in S.C. who wants quotes on his car, truck, and work trailer?

I know how to run quotes on the car and truck, but how/do people insure a work trailer? I thought if you pull a trailer, it is covered with your auto insurance? (at least that is what I think as I am pulling my camper or boat down the street!!)

He has a 2001 Hale Cargo Trailer.

Can you get coverage on that? Is it through his auto ins?

Thanks for the help!!

In Pa we add comp and coll only, the liability is provided by the vehicle pulling the trailer. Be careful adding a commercially used trailer to a personal auto policy if that's what you have.

Tricky one & not 100% sure. If its a work trailor (i.e. a general contractor w/ their tools inside) it can be considered a detached structure & may be covered under homeowners. Or, you would need to check with the auto insurance carrier & get a gigantic policy to cover all its belongings - which they will most likely not cover the worth of everything, only up to the policy max which will not be that much.

1st, commercial use is excluded on the HO, no way jose
2nd, gigantic policy on the auto? Depending on whether it houses tools, materials, etc will determine if you use IM(inland marine) or fire ins.
3rd it's a work trailer w/wheels, it goes on the commercial auto... period
most rating platforms include trailers long with trucks

Back