Just Had an Accident

mactube

Expert
Hi, I'm brand new here.. I love forums because I think you will get the best and quickest help and answers to your questions. I most cases better and more qualified then with customer service.
That's why I choose this forum because I just had an accident and it looks like I need professional advice to not make this an expensive experience....

I just had a minor accident with only a couple of scratches involved in the accident which was clearly my fault ( bummed in to a the back of a car ) The person claims agains me / my insurance ( Alliance ) . I'm assuming the premium will go up.
Does somebody know home much they will go up ? Or if there is a way to avoid that... maybe changing the insurance company before the claim goes through and it's on my record !?

Hi there,

Unfortunately, if a claim has already been filed then changing insurance companies won't really help you. Insurer's use something called a CLUE report or Comprehensive Loss Underwriting Exchange, to help them evaluate a person's risk and establish premiums.

Basically, all loss information (amount of damages paid for damages) goes into a big database that all insurance companies can see. Once a claim is filed, a CLUE report is filed as well. Sometimes a CLUE can be filed just on an inquiry.

So, sadly, your at-fault accident will follow you, regardless of whether you change companies.

If the accident is minor, you may only see a slight increase. I suggest you make sure you are taking advantage of EVERY discount that your current insurance company might offer to help mitigate the ensuing rate increase. And it is just a good way to lower your rates!

Hope this is helpful!
Have a great day!:)

Usually its a surcharge of first year 20%, secind year 15% and third year 10%.

If you used a company who gives you an agent, you wouldnt have to come to a BB to get advice

If the accident is minor, you may only see a slight increase. I suggest you make sure you are taking advantage of EVERY discount that your current insurance company might offer to help mitigate the ensuing rate increase. And it is just a good way to lower your rates!

I don't know about other states, but in California, the amount of payout, over a threshold, doesn't matter. Whether its $1000 or $50,000, the premium increase will be the same.

Unless there is a bodily injury payout of any amount. Then you lose good driver discount (by California Law) and this will make the premium increase higher.

Dan

Find out the damage by getting a couple of estimates.

If it's small amount ... you may be better off paying out of pocket.

How minor is it?

Just to let you know in California, threshold is considered <$750. if its less than this its considered non-chargeable to SOME insurance companies.

Thanks for all the information guys...
I just found out the guy really went to the doctor and is claiming injury!!! Which is not possible because this little accident caused hardly scratches!! .. and I do have pictures. What should I do now? I already requested for a inspector to come out to evaluate the damage on my care . I hope they have done that at the other car already to find out that this guy is trying to make money.

How minor is it?

Just to let you know in California, threshold is considered <$750. if its less than this its considered non-chargeable to SOME insurance companies.

I believe they bumped that up to $1,000 recently.

As djs mentioned, the bodily injury payout in California automatically takes away your good driver discount. Your increase could be as much as 30-50% for three years. Some carriers are better than others in terms of the increase.

You may as well finish put your term with your current carrier because they won't add the points until renewal. At that point, get a quote from every company you can find, including an independent agent.

The adjuster will certainly look into the injury claim, however, their motivation is to resolve the claim for the least amount of money possible. If its cheaper to settle a small injury claim, the adjuster may pay it even if you think its BS.

You ran into the back of this guy's car and he is getting checked out by a doctor to make sure he is OK, that is what insurance is for!

You admit that you are clearly at fault, and thus you must pay(literally) the consequences

Back