Just Making Sure this Isn't Insurance Fraud.

Kstrtroi

I got into a minor bump accident recently. I was reversing out of a parking stall and bumped the front of someone's car. I must have been going about 1-2 mph. It's her boyfriend's car that she was borrowing. So owner wasn't there.

I didn't have my insurance paper on me at the time (but I am insured, I just forgot to print it out). I made sure to let her know that I am willing to pay for any damages necessary and that I will go to a mechanic or body shop to get an appraisal. There were a few scratches on the bumper. I also let it be known that I'd rather just pay the damages out of pocket because it seemed like the scratches could be fixed easily and cheaply. Again, we're talking scratches.

I gave her my drivers license and phone number.

The next day I received a voicemail and a text from her boyfriend stating that "after careful inspection of his vehicle, there was some damage to a screw that was holding the bumper together and now it seems like the Entire bumper needs to be replaced".

Keep in mind, my car is spotless, the minor bump that actually happened at the scene was extremely minor. We're talking a tap. He insisted to get my insurance information which I will be providing for him.

But My question is, in your experience, does it sound like he's trying to get more out of this? Or is he just being cautious? If so, is there any precaution I should take when proceeding with insurance? There were no cops called as I figured this was so minor.

But after receiving that call, I am worried that I should have just called the cops, but I can't linger on that as that's done and over with, lesson learned. I just want know if this is a typical sign of insurance fraud.

Thank you.

I would suggest meeting him in person and have him show you the damage he is talking about. Then take pics from multiple angles of all the damage. (next time you hit someone take pics of the damage, this helps to prevent fraud from them further damaging it themselves)

Then just tell him to go to a body shop for an estimate and to send you a copy. Or, meet him at the shop to hear their opinion firsthand. If they say it's needs replacing then I would run it through your insurance, it will likely cost $1,500+.

No way to say if it's fraud or not. If he caused extra damage to increase the payout, then it's fraud. If he thinks it needs a new bumper and you don't, it's just a difference of opinion... and that is what the estimate from an expert helps to solve.

It isn't insurance fraud if insurance isn't involved.

You would be amazed how easy bumper covers are to damage to the point of needing to be replaced. And if the car has any sensors, back up sensors come to mind, it can be quite expensive. I realize this is the front bumper, so there may not be any sensors in this case.

From what I understand, since this was on private property and there is no police report, who may not have taken one any way since it is private property, insurance companies commonly simply pay for their insured. So, unless you admit fault to one of the companies, he may have to submit it to his insurance and pay his deductible. The same would apply to you if there was enough damage to repair on your vehicle.

Keep in mind, if you admit fault, you will not be out of pocket. A deductible does not apply on liability claims. Of course, it may result in higher insurance rates in the future.

Back