Lady Hit my Car, Does Not Want to Pay

behindyouu

So the story goes like this.

I was making a right turn (in a parking lot), the lady was reversing and hit my car.

(i didn't take her policy number)

The lady said she will pay for the dent.
On the same day we went to the body shop. When she heard to price to fix was $1500, she said "she wants to talk to her husband"

So, the next day she calls and wants my policy number (I didn't give). I said why I should give you my policy number if I didn’t hit your car. Then she hung up...

The day after, she messaged me and said "I called my insurance company and said you must pay 50% and I will pay 50% for the damage. And please report to the police."

I went to the police department and they said they you have to do it yourself because the damage does not exceed over $3000.

So I send her a new quote of $800

This is what she said...

"My insurance company said to pay 50/50 for the damage. Please report to the police and the insurance company. YOU N E R D Please report to the police and the insurance company."

So I said I am okay with the 50/50, but she keeps saying the same thing over and over.

She said that 3 times.

And she clearly said N E R D 3 times.

This is what I have for proof
Her text
A video of her hitting my car. (does not show her car, but the video shows my car shaking)
Her address, phone and name
License plate

What should I do?

If your description is accurate, the fault is 50/50, not that she pays 50% of your damages. In other words, it is a mutual fault accident, nobody is really at fault.

If your car was stopped at the time of the collision, then she would be 100% at fault, but the video would have to show this.

What to do? Call the insurance company and report the claim. Not a big deal.

Dan

My opinion? People driving thru parking lots should be extra aware of "reversing" cars that may not see you coming down the aisle. There are these white lights that come on the back of a car when it is "reversing"?

This comes from the owner of a small car that despite all efforts to the contrary, always ends up sandwiched between monster trucks and SUV's that seriously limit my field of vision when backing up. I now understand why my momma always backs in to her parking spots.

That said, in my state, it's private property and no "fault" will be assigned by way of a traffic ticket. Take what you can get. Or turn it in to your insurance as a collision claim taking your own collision deductible into consideration.

You probably shouldn't be recording videos with your cellphone while driving around a parking lot.

Last edited:
Back