Lead Closing Ratio: Captive Vs. Indy

popeye35

Expert
I am just curious. I am with State Farm, and the general consensus is that we close about 10% of our auto leads that we get. I am curious what kind of closing ratio you indy's have (I would assume it is better because you have several options). How about you captives with other companies?

(I am partly curious because I am debating whether to go indy or captive when I start my own agency).

I am just curious. I am with State Farm, and the general consensus is that we close about 10% of our auto leads that we get. I am curious what kind of closing ratio you indy's have (I would assume it is better because you have several options). How about you captives with other companies?

(I am partly curious because I am debating whether to go indy or captive when I start my own agency).

If you are buying real time shared internet leads, 10% closing ratio is good.

I guess what I am trying to say is that in theory, if I am closing 10% on the captive side with only 1 company to choose from, shouldn't I expect to close a little higher percentage on the indy side since I would have multiple quotes to choose from?

I guess what I am trying to say is that in theory, if I am closing 10% on the captive side with only 1 company to choose from, shouldn't I expect to close a little higher percentage on the indy side since I would have multiple quotes to choose from?

It depends on how competitive SF is in your area. You can have access to 20 carriers...but if they aren't competitive, you spent time submitting 20 duds.
Add in what SF ( or any carrier)is "good" at...sketchy drivers, age of vehicle, age of drivers, type of vehicle?

I do commercial auto, and have access to a bunch of carriers....but sometimes I have to send it over to a local captive who can write it much cheaper.That agent often sends me clients she can't write competitively. Win-win: client is happy....and both of us kept the client happy.

Last edited:
If you go indendent you would have to purchase your own leads, so you would have to figure out what you would need to spend each week in leads to net at least what you are making now as a captive without any lead costs.

Back