Liability Accident. what Can I Do

adamtay

So i had my 2012 Volkswagen passat on my dads insurance fully covered for 3 years then i had to get my own policy but the rates were so high($400/month) because I'm under 25 and a few points on my license that i just decided to get liability with the same insurer (nationwide) for the month then sell my car.
well in that month i got into an accident and hit a car infront of me. airbags deployed and some minor engine and radiator work needs done along with some body work. the car has been sitting in my garage since july 2016 i don't know what to do. is there any way i can get something out of my insurance company?
Please help

Adam I am sorry for your hard luck & I hate to be the rain on your parade but from your post I would say you have no recourse on this. You chose the policy & the coverage & you will have to deal with the fall out on this one. Good Luck & best wishes . LP

"I paid for this product for some time then intentionally chose to stop paying for it. Do I still get to have the benefits of the product now?"

How much did you save per month? Even at a few hundred dollars savings, then a $500 deductible... it looks like the payout on a collision like this still would've made up for what you'll have to pay out of pocket now that there's no coverage. And it would be there to cover even more in a total loss scenario.

Hopefully this is something you'll keep in mind the future. Also best of luck on insurance ratings now that you've had an at-fault accident too.

Either fix the car yourself or sell it if you have a clear title. There are no other legal options.

^^^^^

Is the car driveable?

If yes, get it to a shop and get an estimate for repairs. Or have it towed to a shop. A few caveats though:

Once they (the body shop) take it apart, and you cannot afford repairs, you'll owe them some money for teardown and probably have a car that can't be driven at that point. Drive it in and ask the questions before you let them touch it.

If no....well.....I'm really sorry. Call up some salvage yards and see if they are interested in buying it.

Back