Liability Only Vehicle Type.

HughG

Does the type of vehicle affect cost on Liability coverage only.

Is there a published list of vehicles that cost more so I can check it or do the insurance companies keep it hidden and just get to make it up as they raise rates?

Where can I see vehicle list?

The type of vehicle does matter. The short answer on a liability policy is insurance companies evaluate makes and models for how many accidents they are involved in and the amount of damage they typically cause in an accident.

That information is then used to calculate rates.

The information is not a 'secret' but I don't know of anyone who openly publishes it either. Its not hard to figure out though, performance sports cars tend to get into more accidents. Big 4 wheel drive V-8's can cause more damage. How you balance the rest is the proprietary rates of the insurance company.

Dan

Where can I see vehicle list?

I would be very interested in seeing that list as well.

but after some extensive digging and coming up empty, I'm convinced that DJS is right. No such list is out there.

it's frustrating too because you can find plenty of such lists for least/most expensive, but everyone of them that I've seen all figure in comp and collision.

It'll vary. I've got carriers that will adjust liability premium based on the vehicles, while others will have the same liability premium for every vehicle that's not on their unacceptable list.
Rating factors tend to be the same or similar between carriers, but how they treat each factor is completely different.

Is there a general list somewhere that shows least to most expensive cars to insure? I'll be getting my daughter a car later this year... figured I'd do some due diligence.

Is there a general list somewhere that shows least to most expensive cars to insure?

Nothing has changed since this thread was started. You can still find plenty of such lists.... But every list I've seen factors in comprehensive and collision. I've never seen a list that only factors in liability. Plus they don't factor in depreciation.

So unless you're looking to buy a brand new or nearly new car, those lists couldn't be all that accurate. especially with older vehicles.

A Ford F250 will do more damage to the other vehicle it hits than a Mazda Miata, hence a larger premium for the F250.

Nothing has changed since this thread was started. You can still find plenty of such lists.... But every list I've seen factors in comprehensive and collision. I've never seen a list that only factors in liability. Plus they don't factor in depreciation.

So unless you're looking to buy a brand new or nearly new car, those lists couldn't be all that accurate. especially with older vehicles.

Gotcha. And yes, most everything I see is newer full coverage info.

So in general, are there certain cars that are typically priced much better than others? Certain vehicles to stay away from? (obviously sports cars, expensive cars, and big suvs)
I'm looking at something probably 10yrs old, maybe honda accord or something along those lines. My buddy said that the camry was the cheapest car to insure, according to his agent.

10-15 years ago I think my then boss and his son settled on a small pickup for insurance reasons. Do not remember if it was a ford ranger or foreign equivalent.

Gotcha. And yes, most everything I see is newer full coverage info.

So in general, are there certain cars that are typically priced much better than others? Certain vehicles to stay away from? (obviously sports cars, expensive cars, and big suvs)
I'm looking at something probably 10yrs old, maybe honda accord or something along those lines. My buddy said that the camry was the cheapest car to insure, according to his agent.

I would think both the Accord and Camry would be good choices for what you're looking for.

----------

10-15 years ago I think my then boss and his son settled on a small pickup for insurance reasons. Do not remember if it was a ford ranger or foreign equivalent.

that sounds right too. I've had a few Rangers that have quoted low for liability.

smaller pickups do pretty good. I had a Toyota Tacoma that came out really low. I loved that truck 9 months out of the year.

**** but fair warning to those who live in northern states: those smaller pickups with rear wheel drive are nightmares to drive in snow and ice! I used to pack the bed full of snow just to get some bit of traction.

Back