Massachusetts Geico Customer in Accident.

vsanity

Hey Everyone,
New to the forums here. I've been searching around the interweb to find an answer but haven't found anything even remotely clear.

I am a Massachusetts driver insured with Geico, I have had 6 years of clean driving history all insured with Geico but in March, 2013 I rear ended someone at a stop sign. Neither car's airbags deployed my car was actually undamaged... Although I would classify this as a fender bender since both cars were operational the other driver decided to freak out and even though she was walking around and constantly on her cellphone as the police and EMTs were trying to talk to her, she requested a ride to the hospital where she rode (not on a stretcher because she refused) to a nearby hospital (i have no idea if they determined she had any injuries since I haven't heard anything from geico about the situation but I would assume no since it was a low speed collision with no airbag deployment. I wish I had had my Dashcam recording properly so I could have really seen what happened but we were both merging onto a two lane road after stopping at a stop sign at the end of the on-ramp. After beginning to merge she must have stopped again (I hit her while I was in the act of merging and looking for oncoming traffic), not that it makes a difference since I believe rear-ending someone is automatically entirely my fault.
I would say the damage to her vehicle wasn't major (it was still drive-able) but I've had quotes for a couple scratches that an auto body place wanted over $1000 to fix so who knows what her damage was valued at... My question, is what can I expect in terms of a premium increase from Geico?

The discounts currently on my account are:

Excellent Driver Plus
Marketing Partner Discount
New Car Discount
Anti-Theft Device

As I said my car had no damage so it therefore had no claim or repair costs filed by me. From what I've read, MA's laws are convoluted and geico might not be allowed to give me accident forgiveness? Like it could when I was in SC last year.

If anyone could give me an idea of what to expect I would greatly appreciate it. I was issued a written warning for "failure to use care stopping" that was all. The car the other person was driving was also one of the cheapest cars you can buy.

Thanks in advance!
VSanity

Last edited:
I don't know MA laws and practices, but in CA, for the situation you described, it would depend on whether there was a med pay out on the claim. Since she went to the hospital, I assume there was. This, by law, would mean you are not eligible for the good driver discount for 3 years.

If something similar happens in MA, with the accident rating, I would expect a 25-50% increase in premiums.

Since the citation was related to the accident, it shouldn't have any additional impact on the rates.

Dan

I don't know MA laws and practices, but in CA, for the situation you described, it would depend on whether there was a med pay out on the claim. Since she went to the hospital, I assume there was. This, by law, would mean you are not eligible for the good driver discount for 3 years.

If something similar happens in MA, with the accident rating, I would expect a 25-50% increase in premiums.

Since the citation was related to the accident, it shouldn't have any additional impact on the rates.

Dan

Hmmm, alright by a med payment you mean even something as minor as an emergency room visit? We also have required PIP in MA so her insurance would be hit first for medical I believe. Like I said, she was totally fine before she went to the hospital, all the EMTs knew this but obviously you can't refuse to bring someone to the hospital if requested... The accident happened at about 10mph maybe less so...

The citation I was issued was a warning and the officer said it didn't come with a fine or points (obviously) so I shouldn't expect that would have any affect like you said.

Are you saying that I will lose my good driver discount AND see a premium increase of 50% or just lose my discount? The accident forgiveness laws in MA are confusing...

Thanks!

Again, I don't know MA laws, so I'm citing from CA.
In CA (and many other states, not sure which), any medical payment will cause a loss of the good driver discount.

I don't know Geico's rating policies, and carriers vary. This is the type of question you should ask your agent, he can get a much better answer.

But, if you lose your good driver discount, and get rated for an accident, I would expect a 50% premium increase. This is EXTREMELY general, way to many unmentioned factors involved to know for sure. If you don't lose the good driver discount, I would expect a 25% increase.

If it goes up more than that, you need to shop your insurance. Its not a bad idea after anything significant happens that can cause a rate change (up or down). Carriers that rate well when you have no incidents may not do as well when there is an incident.

I don't know Geico's policy on accident forgiveness, but I assume you are not eligible since you moved last year. When you cross state lines with insurance carriers, it becomes a different world. This is because states run insurance laws.

Dan

If it goes up more than that, you need to shop your insurance. Its not a bad idea after anything significant happens that can cause a rate change (up or down). Carriers that rate well when you have no incidents may not do as well when there is an incident.

I don't know Geico's policy on accident forgiveness, but I assume you are not eligible since you moved last year. When you cross state lines with insurance carriers, it becomes a different world. This is because states run insurance laws.

Dan

MA runs a Merit Rating Board which I guess means they give points that should follow me to other insurers I would think... Geico at the moment is far and away the cheapest option ($45/mo) with Progressive doing the same coverage for $140 a month (granted I quoted this saying I had had an accident in the last 5 years), I'm not sure how moving states will make a difference since the Excellent Driver Plus discount followed me from MA to SC and Back to MA over the last 5 years but I guess time will tell... One thing I don't like about Geico is that I don't have an agent so it's not like I can call up and talk with someone who is already informed on my situation, does calling Geico and asking questions in any way affect the outcome? Like could they choose to increase my premiums based on something I say?

Not sure if it makes a difference but I have since sold the car that was in the accident. And have insured the brand new car with Geico as well.

Thanks

MA runs a Merit Rating Board which I guess means they give points that should follow me to other insurers I would think... Geico at the moment is far and away the cheapest option ($45/mo) with Progressive doing the same coverage for $140 a month (granted I quoted this saying I had had an accident in the last 5 years), I'm not sure how moving states will make a difference since the Excellent Driver Plus discount followed me from MA to SC and Back to MA over the last 5 years but I guess time will tell... One thing I don't like about Geico is that I don't have an agent so it's not like I can call up and talk with someone who is already informed on my situation, does calling Geico and asking questions in any way affect the outcome? Like could they choose to increase my premiums based on something I say?

Not sure if it makes a difference but I have since sold the car that was in the accident. And have insured the brand new car with Geico as well.

Thanks

You can call Geico, and ask if you will lose any discounts, or be forgiven (if allowable in MA) any accident surcharge. From what you say, I'm sure they are aware of the accident (I wouldn't volunteer information about the ticket, but you may want to start off by asking to verify your 5 year claim record. On the very unlikely chance there was no claim filed by the other party, I would then not mention anything about the accident). If you are told the accident will increase your rates, they won't be able to tell you how much it will increase accurately, though they may try.

You are likely to at least lose the excellent driver plus discount, but it's unrelated to California's good driver discount, and may not be as sizeable.

With the combination of the possible loss of discounts, surcharges, state law, and normal rate increases, I don't think you can rely on anyone to tell you what to expect your premium to be. The price is going to be whatever its going to be, and guessing at the new rate may make you worry needlessly if it is over-estimated, or piss you off if it is under-estimated.

Worst case scenario:

I'd be prepared for $140 a month, because you know you can get that from Progressive, if Geico turns out to be higher. Geico should know your renewal premium 30 days before your renewal date. I would call them about 30 days before your policy renews, find out the new rate, and comparison shop with other companies, to make sure it's a competitive price.

Be sure to include one or two independent insurance agents if you need to shop. Geico my still have the best rate for you, but with a change to your driving record increasing your rates, sometimes the company that had the best rate for you, now has the worst rate for you.

The problem with buying insurance on line, is you have no agent to help you, and make sure you don't say the wrong thing!!!! Like yes it was my fault!

Thanks

Was this resolved? If not I am licensed in MA if you need help.

Back