Met-Life Auto Vs USAA?

GeminiGroup

Guru
100+ Post Club
I should have asked sooner but hey?

Ok I can get a better price by switching to ML, with slightly better coverages
no glass ded, shrinking overall ded

Called to cancel USAA...they have some of my banking biz CC's etc...would be one less freaking website to check...

the diff is less than $10 per but paying less and getting a bit more seems like a yeah for me

but I wanted to hear, thoughts on ML vs USAA...to help me decide to stay put or take my $10 bucks and extra coverage to Snoopy

(I know ML on the Life ide....but I'm not P&C licensed just L&H)

What's the deal, who should I marry?:laugh:

Called to cancel USAA...they have some of my banking biz CC's etc...would be one less freaking website to check...

the diff is less than $10 per but paying less and getting a bit more seems like a yeah for me

but I wanted to hear, thoughts on ML vs USAA...to help me decide to stay put or take my $10 bucks and extra coverage to Snoopy

I like metlife auto and home. They handle claims very well and premiums remain steady for existing clients most of the time. They stopped being competitive on new business here a few years back so we let them go. I had a tough time time moving a lot of the business I had with them due to pricing and coverage. I myself had their GrandProtect and when I switched mine ended up paying more. Go for it!

Thanks, just wanted a head nod.
Their price and coverage amounts are better based on the group rate with Navy FCU, just wanted to make sure they didn't totally blow.

Appreciate it

Why would you leave USAA?

Ummm $100 less per year
Higher coverages
50% deductible (non collision)
$0 deductible on glass
More generous rental car coverage

And the capper:
Shrinking deductible per year,
meaning next year the gap only gets
larger.
Trust me, I TRIED to justify staying with
USAA (spent almost 2 hours on the phone
over 2 calls) but the numbers are the numbers,
if it were Bert N Ernie's Insurance it'd be easy
to ignore but Met is a legit carrier w/o a B.S.
reputation, so a prudent person is compelled
to act.

It's hard to justify paying More for Less
& the shrinking deductible is an attractive
feature, as there are many more years of insurance
payments to be paid.

I can only imagine a rock hitting my windshield
and being ticked off paying for knowing for
a cheaper premium it 'would have' been covered.

Hi! I know I am a little late to answer but in case you haven’t switched yet, I’d like to offer my 2 cents. I have experience with both companies. USAA - previous customer, Metlife - prior employee. My husband was in a military for 25 years. He had USAA for a very long time and never shopped for insurance. Because as an average person he didn’t no better. It changed when he met me. We had an accident in 2009 and USAA closed it as a total loss. They paid much less than the car was worth. We ended up paying off our loan out of pocket. It was BMW and they valued it like it was old Honda. It was single vehicle accident so obviously our fault. March 2012 we were hit by another USAA customer. Since we both had USAA they put it on hold and said each party had to pay their own deductible till fault was determined. I paid my $500 deductible and waited several months to get it back even though they knew it wasn’t our fault right away. After 2 very bad experiences I called GEICO to get a quote. It was way less than USAA. But GEICO agent told me that I’d have to pay a higher price since I hit somebody few months ago. They requested letter of experience to prove otherwise. I called USAA to get that letter since I knew it wasn’t our fault. To my surprise, the letter said not just that I was personally at fault, it said that I was a driver. I was actually a passenger!!! I called them back, they corrected it, apologized. And I switched to GEICO same day. Made me think that USAA did it on purpose. They report it as “at-fault” so when customers call for quotes they automatically get higher price and decide to stay with USAA. I would probably never even shop around but at that time I started working for GEICO and learned a lot about insurance. Before that I believed that all companies handle claims that way. I was wrong! Oh! Also had a very small wind damage on a house in 2009 or 2010. Called USAA to find out my wind deductible was 2%, so close to $6,000. Also one day decided to review mortgage statements. Apparently we’ve been charged over $1,000 a year for mortgage placed insurance even though we had USAA all the time and it was paid through the mortgage escrow account. I don’t know if it was USAA fault or mortgage company. But apparently we’ve been paying for 2 separate insurance policies. A week on a phone with USAA to get it resolved. Got $3500 back. Live and learn!!! That’s just showing how USAA is taking advantage of regular people. I would have never even looked at that if I didn’t get licensed in 2012. Unfortunately GEICO only offers auto insurance. So I switched all 4 cars to them. It’s been over 5 years and I could not be happier. My homes stayed with USAA at that time till one of our Landlord policies increased by over 100% for no reason. Good news, at that point I was working for Metlife and they offer home insurance. Now I have 2 homes and 2 condos covered with Met. And my wind deductible is not $6000, but $1000. Everything else is only $250 deductible. USAA wanted over $2000 for landlord policy, I pay less then $500 with Metlife. Metlife rates very much based on your credit. Unless you leave in CA or MA (no credit check there). Because of good credit I pay about the same amount for 4 home policies with Met than I paid for 1 home with USAA. I’ve never had a home claim so cannot comment on home claims experience. We still use USAA for credit cards, home equity loan etc but will never use them again for insurance. Hope this helps you or somebody else who is looking to switch carriers. $10 a month is not a huge saving. But don’t ever forget what you pay at the end when you have a claim. That’s what insurance is for! Piece of mind! Hope you never have an accident and never have to deal with claims. But if you do, hope you are with a good company that will take care of you. Good luck!

As a 50% disabled and honorably discharged veteran, I hate the fact the USAA presents itself as insurance for the military, or is in any affiliated or endorsed by it. It is very much a for profit company that was started by 25 Army officers decided to insure each other's automobiles as a group. Geico started as the Government Employees Insurance Company (GEICO) but you don't see them targeting veterans.

My vote would be Met. for the principal of it, and the added benefit of working with an independent professional insurance agent.

Back