Multiple Drivers and Policies

JohnBlack

I have 4 vehicles and 3 drivers. I want to have the 3 drivers and two vehicles on one policy and 2 drivers (exclude 1 driver) and the other two vehicles on another policy. Can that be done?

Probably, although some companies won't allow it and some agencies won't do it.

It does raise the question why? Depending upon the goal you may be able to accomplish it another way or you may not be able to at all.

So you have drivers 1, 2, 3 and vehicles A, B, C, and D. Drivers 1-3 and vehicles A and B on one, and Drivers 1-2 and vehicles C and D on another?

If driver 3 causes an accident in vehicle C, there is absolutely no coverage from the insurance on C if excluded. Also, since the vehicle was in the household and not on driver 3's policy, there also may be no coverage there. It would depend on the exact policy language. This includes liability if the driver is excluded. This means you and the driver would be completely exposed.

Because of this, the group I work with will not allow excluded drivers. Inevitably someone ends up driving the vehicle they have been excluded on.

Thank you for the response. Driver "3" will not be driving two of the vehicles at all and will not have access to them. He is our child and will be away in college. He will have access to the other two vehicles though.

Thank you for the response. Driver "3" will not be driving two of the vehicles at all and will not have access to them. He is our child and will be away in college. He will have access to the other two vehicles though.

He is taking two vehicles with him to college? I guess they are titled in your name and/or there is a lein?

Some companies do allow you to indicate the driver is away at college more than a certain distance, 100 miles is common. That way they are still covered should they come home and drive a vehicle.

I recommend you speak freely with your agent about the situation to make sure you are properly covered, but also trying to keep the premium down. No amount of premium savings will offset an uncovered loss that could have easily been covered.

Does he have ticket issues or are you just looking to save some money by not having him on the policy with the other 2 vehicles?

If these are all residents of the same household, splitting up vehicles among more than one policy is dangerous. Assuming ISO PAP coverage, if an insured under Policy A is driving a vehicle declared on Policy B, he or she likely has no coverage under Policy A. They would have to rely on Policy B on which the vehicle is declared, BUT it's possible that Policy B has a driver exclusion endorsement, so that this person may have ZERO coverage. There are too many unknowns in your situation to know what is best to do.

This really sounds like a "penny wise, pound foolish" situation. You may save on premium, but there are so many ways to leave yourself exposed.

Back