Is My Car Totaled

therealdeal770

Sometime last night my car caught fire. When I discovered this I called the police department and the fire department came and diagnosed the cause. There was a short in the power seat wiring harness that started the fire. The drivers seat, door panel , and carpet in the area are burned very badly. The whole inside of the car is covered in a smutty residue and smells so bad that it burns your throat and eyes. My question is what is the chance of this car being totaled. If its going to be totaled I really need to buy a car this weekend because I will not have time next week which is when the insurance company is supposed to let me know something. For what its worth its a 2008 Impala LS with 104k miles.

not sure I believe this......

Rarely, unless someone is injured or there is major suspection of something, do they investigate a car fire..

Life happens, throws you curve balls, so you have to deal with it

Second, if your in such a hurry, have you even called your insurance company? They will explain everything to you.

I dont think I have ever seen a car fire NOT totalled, due to the flames, and water damage and smoke damage from it.

Rarely, unless someone is injured or there is major suspection of something, do they investigate a car fire..

Life happens, throws you curve balls, so you have to deal with it

Second, if your in such a hurry, have you even called your insurance company? They will explain everything to you.

I dont think I have ever seen a car fire NOT totalled, due to the flames, and water damage and smoke damage from it.

Not sure you beleive this. I asked a question. Why cant I just get the best possible answer without someone calling me a liar. Yes life happens and throws you curveballs but working 13 hrs a day and having 4 children to get to school I need a car and fast. Yes I have called the insurance company and they cannot get to it till Monday or Tuesday. Theres no water damage the fire choked itself out because the windows were up.

Here is the answer you don't want to hear....
The insurance company will probably total the car, but no way of knowing sitting here without seeing the damage.

But....

It was a fire. It will go to the insurance companies special investigation unit for review. This can delay the settlement by 4 hours or by 40 days (or longer). Be prepared to answer a LOT of questions.

For now, simply rent a car. Especially if you have rental coverage on your policy. Get the claim number and have them set up the rental. No big deal.

Dan

Had an old model chevy blazer go up while driving it. Called FD, they came and put out my now smoldering wreck, and they did do a quick investigation before it was towed away.

It isn't in depth as with arson but some towns will try to figure it out on scene with cars if they can.

Just my personal experience.

Hey therealdeal,

Sorry to hear about your fire loss. Not sure what Red Blooded was referencing either. Doesn't matter.

DJS had the best answer for you: all insurance companies are going to investigate a fire loss and refer to their SIU (special investigations unit) as standard procedure. Typically a quick review can be done, looking at key indicators/variables to determine if further investigation is warranted. I was a claims manager for 6 years and can tell you with certainty that this will be course of action.

Haven't seen that you confirmed you have comp coverage or rental. Agree that if you have have both, get yourself in a rental and take advantage of that coverage.

I was filling up a van onetime with the key turned on. It was winter and the static spark caught the gas fumes on fire and blew the thing up. It took the top off the concrete.

They totaled it pretty quickly.

Don't fill your car with the key on. Don't fill it in the winter with people you love inside UNLESS you ground yourself away from the gas tank.

Back