My Child is 17 and I Havent Put Him on my Policy?

BobbyR

Expert
I'm with State Farm and haven't put my son on my policy. I've asked many auto agents this question in the past. They've told me the car is covered as long as the driver is licensed . They said if there's a wreck State Farm will pay the claim and make you put your son on the policy. Is this correct?

They said if there's a wreck State Farm will pay the claim and make you put your son on the policy. Is this correct?

(I am assuming your son still lives with you)

I can't speak for how state farm handles this situation. but that is how many carriers handle it. they pay the claim and then nail you afterwards.

but that is a risky strategy that I would NEVER recommend!

three things those agents didn't tell you:

1. if your son wrecks, you will be put through the ringer during the claims process. be ready to jump through a lot more hoops.

2. you are blatantly misrepresenting your auto insurance application that you signed. somewhere on that app, I promise you there is writing that says you are responsible for keeping driver info updated (meaning: anyone of driving age living with you needs to be listed).

3. not all carriers are so nice about it. and the industry as a whole is getting more wise about combating this problem of parents hiding teen drivers from their policy.

In my state, the carrier is only required to pay the state minimum limits. They will back charge to add them, then cancel for mis-rep.

Add the damn kid. Jack up the deductibles.

You could get in a lot of trouble.

If you had a wreck with the son, if they did pay the claim,
they would probably cancel your policy on the next renewal.

Then you would be looking at mega-high rates for a long period
of time, as at least the son would prob have to go the sub-standard
route.

Plus, all of the above is true as well, especially the part about SF giving
you a hard time about paying your claim.

I'm with State Farm and haven't put my son on my policy. I've asked many auto agents this question in the past. They've told me the car is covered as long as the driver is licensed . They said if there's a wreck State Farm will pay the claim and make you put your son on the policy. Is this correct?

A local SF agent told one of my clients the same thing. What is it about SF agents???? The short answer, it is call insurance fraud. The carrier will make you back pay the premium and then cancel the policy.

State farm tends to have larger increases for youthful drivers than other carriers, in my experience. The agent knows this, and like most captives will compromise their integrity to keep the revenue in their agency. State farm agents seem to be the worst about this.

The fact is, yes, state farm will pay the claim. At best you'll no longer be able to stay in their mutual company. You may get non renewed altogether and have to find another carrier.

Though ever since 2005, not only has SF turned their backs on their agents, they're also no longer as nice to deal with on claims. They are downright rotten to lienholders. I wish their market share would begin to reflect the kind of company they've become.

Not that I'm bitter or anything, lol.

The answer to your question depends on how you ask the question.

Make sure you read through to the second part of this answer.....

1. Permissive User: You need to loan your car to your neighbor for a quick errand. Somebody is going to drop you off at the airport and then drive your car back home. A friend needs to borrow your car for the day. These are covered under most policies on what they call a permissive user basis. You gave someone permission to use your car for a short, temporary, non-frequent occurrence. That person does not have routine access to your car (usually classified as 'lives in the household').

2. Not covered under permissive user: People in your house. People who drive your car on a regular basis (babysitter is a good example). People who have a set of keys to your car and can use it regularly. Anyone who operates your car without your permission.

So, if your son lives with you, he is NOT covered under permissive user under almost all policies, unless he has his own policy somewhere else. A carrier may opt to backdate the coverage and cover a claim, but they also may not. They are under no obligation to do so.

I understand not wanting to add him due to the cost. Think about the cost though if he has an accident and State Farm won't cover it. If the agent says they will, have him put it in writing.

Dan

Back