My First Comp Accident.

corysti

Well, I must say I really wished this day wouldn't have happened. But im torn on the fact if I should file it or not. I'm currently with Geico been their for around 3 months and I must say so far I've been happy. Unfortunately no agents are near me so I have to do most of my business online. Around a week ago we had a major rain storm hit my town of Arkansas and it ended up flooding 80 percent of the town. Most of the water wasn't no deeper than a foot. But my car as a Cold Air intake on the car and as I was driving another pretty slow and a truck going the other way created a wave throwing around a gallon of water in my intake and forcing it into my motor. At the time I thought I just stalled the car and I would give it a few minutes and she would start again. Well I ended up getting the car towed back to my house where I drained all the fluids (coolant &oil) To find that gallon of water in my oil. I've worked over a week trying to get it started and Im stuck and I figure its more than what I can handle. My question is what would be the process in doing this. Would they come out to the house and look at my car and would my insurance even cover this type of damage? Im kinda scared to file this because I only got full coverage just days before this actually happened because my bank called me and told me i needed to get it on my car. I don't want them to think im trying to commit fraud. Btw, No accident's or past claims.

Last edited:
Yeah, the fact that you just added the physical damage will probably throw up some red flags with Geico. If you're on the level, you need to turn in a claim. Unfortunately, you destroyed some of the evidence an adjuster might have wanted to look at. Either way, prepare for them to ask for a professional opinion.

Well, I must say I really wished this day wouldn't have happened. But im torn on the fact if I should file it or not. I'm currently with Geico been their for around 3 months and I must say so far I've been happy. Unfortunately no agents are near me so I have to do most of my business online. Around a week ago we had a major rain storm hit my town of Arkansas and it ended up flooding 80 percent of the town. Most of the water wasn't no deeper than a foot. But my car as a Cold Air intake on the car and as I was driving another pretty slow and a truck going the other way created a wave throwing around a gallon of water in my intake and forcing it into my motor. At the time I thought I just stalled the car and I would give it a few minutes and she would start again. Well I ended up getting the car towed back to my house where I drained all the fluids (coolant &oil) To find that gallon of water in my oil. I've worked over a week trying to get it started and Im stuck and I figure its more than what I can handle. My question is what would be the process in doing this. Would they come out to the house and look at my car and would my insurance even cover this type of damage? Im kinda scared to file this because I only got full coverage just days before this actually happened because my bank called me and told me i needed to get it on my car. I don't want them to think im trying to commit fraud. Btw, No accident's or past claims.

Hopefully you haven't waited too long or messed too much stuff up trying to get this car going. My advice is to have the car towed to a reputable garage and have them assess what is going to have to be done to fix the car. If they are good they will know and can verify to the adjuster what happened. Any insurance company will definitely cover a vehicle in this situation if one has coverage. It usually will be covered underneath the comprehensive portion of the coverage. Hitting water and damaging a car is like hitting a deer or a tree falling on your car. They will even pay to install a new engine if needed or whatever is required.

Running a vehicle into water can definitely destroy an engine. The water doesn't even have to be that deep. The air intake on some vehicles is located fairly low to the ground and water can get sucked up into the engine. Water will not lubricate and will not compress and this can result in bent valves and major engine damage. If you kill any vehicle in water the last thing you want to do is restart it. Instead you will want to have it towed to a garage. They need to check the engine oil for water and also the gas tank. They will change the oil if necessary. If the engine will not crank over as if it is frozen, remove the spark plugs and turn the engine over by hand to remove the water from the cylinders. Dry out the ignition system, spark plugs, coil, etc. A engine that can be saved after running it into water can be destroyed by trying to start it and run it with water in it.

The first area of concern when dealing with water damage is the engine and the transmission fluids. They should be checked with the dipstick. If you observe fluids that appear milky, beige in color, or appear diluted, there is a good chance water is in the pans. In this case, the auto should be towed to a repair facility. If you attempt to drive it with water in the oil or transmission, the damage will quickly become much more serious. If you have any doubts, have it towed. Once the car is in a safe place, the transmission and oil pans can be completely drained, and the fluids replaced.
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
Besides daubling in insurance I own 50% of an auto repair shop with seven bays and six technicians. We have faced this type of things several times and have installed about 4 engines for insurance companies.

Back