Named Insured Vs. Add'l Driver

truth343

Hi!

My domestic partner is an additional driver on my policy. If they have to file a claim (we have a small one, debatable if its worth paying cash or claiming), will the "points" carry on their record or mine (or both)? In the event that we split someday and no longer are on the same insurance, where will the ghosts of the claim follow?

Thanks!

Hi!

My domestic partner is an additional driver on my policy. If they have to file a claim (we have a small one, debatable if its worth paying cash or claiming), will the "points" carry on their record or mine (or both)? In the event that we split someday and no longer are on the same insurance, where will the ghosts of the claim follow?

Thanks!

It's your policy. You make the claim. You get paid. You have a claim history.

This is a normal 'confusing' thing.
You will have a claim.
Your domestic partner will get rated for the accident (if at fault).

If you split, your partner will take the rating factors with them, you will still have the claim, which can cost you the claims free discount, if you had one. Usually not that big of a deal.

Dan

Thank you both. Wasn't sure what the difference was in carrying a previous claim vs. "rating".

Sounds like, the former is the lesser of two evils then. Fair?

Having a claim on your policy is pretty much a non-event.
Having a driver on your policy with a claim is a bigger event.

Think about it this way. Even if the two of you, together, now drop your current policy and get a new one with a new carrier, you will have no claims on that policy, but, they will still surcharge due to the increased risk of a driver with an at fault claim.

The rating goes to the driver, the claim goes to the policy. Its a nuance, but it makes sense when you think about it for way to many years.

Dan

Back