Need Advice: New P&C License Looking to Start Own Business

Kenrt

Hello,
I took my P&C license few months ago and I started working for small insurance agency offering mostly car insurance.
I do my business from home and I think I really like it and I want to grow in this industry.
But my problem is that the agency I work for is like to small or maybe they want to go out of the business because is really hard for me to get in touch with them. At the beginning they were fine - few days a week for explaining how to offer insurance, how to make quotes etc. But after that when I had any questions I was asked to wait one or two days to get an answer and I lost some business. Now they don`t even want to provide me with some other carriers because they are too busy, they need more people and etc.
So my question is how to start my own agency?
Can you suggest any P&C wholesalers willing to work with new agents and who provide really good educations.
I`m based in Chicago, IL.

All advices will be greatly appreciated.

welcome to the biz! it's tough to just "start your own agency." were you working with a captive company (State Farm, Allstate, Country, etc) or an independent office?

are you looking to be just a producer without the hastle/responsibility of owning & operating your own office?

I`m working now with independent company.
Since this is a my second job for now I`m not in a hurry to start something on my own very soon but this is my goal in near future.
So if somebody know any wholesaler for P&C accepting new agents for training please let me know.

I'm a newb to P&C. I have found it to be tough to be a newb in P&C.
Yes you are right it`s something new so it`s normal if it`s tough.
That`s way I`m looking for company that's taking care for the agents.
About the customer side it`s not easy to get somebody but when you know what are you selling the process is always much easier.
I found out that some of the agents working in my area are stupid or just want to make a sale even if they are laying the customer. And those agents had been in this business for years - it`s just amazing. But maybe I`m wrong and it`s normal :nah:

I would recommend continue working on your marketing plan and talking with potential clients. This takes a long time to get comfortable with. Also, see if you can find a captive Agency that pays a salary. Don't work for a company that makes you pay anything back to them if you leave the company or they fire you...for example a subsidy. If you have questions you can message me.

Back