Newby Auto Claim Question, Plz Help

PotentialFarmer

Super Genius
100+ Post Club
Posted in General Discussion also, to get best possible response, will not spam in any other channels...Thanks for your advise.

Ok folks, well I'm a relatively new auto insurance agent and as it would happen my wife just got hit by her new boss backing out of the driveway on her first day at work on a new job. OF COURSE!!! Now the particulars are a bit out of my realm of knowledge. Her car is an 88 civic, was hit already on the other side for a total loss where the other party's insurance paid out 1400 on that first incident. Now her boss backed into her and the quotes for fixing it again are far over the value of the car. She never fixed the damage on the other side as it was a total loss and wasn't really worth fixing it at 1600 dollars. This time on the other side her boss smushed her in again, however he wasn't driving his own car. He was driving his father in laws car who is insured and the boss is insured also. I'm wondering what is going to happen. Obviously I know that the insurance stays with the car, so its his father-in-law's insurance that will pay the claim and that the father-in-law's insurance wont go up as he wasn't the cause of the accident (fact checking appreciated). What I'm wondering is, will her being paid on a total loss effect the payout this time around for the 2nd total loss. And will her bosses insurance rates go up because he was the driver of another car during this accident? I'm guessing that neither the boss' or father-in-law's insurance premiums will elevate as the one wasn't the cause of the accident and the other's insurance company didn't have to pay the claim. Please let me know folks, you've always been good to me. Also the boss is wondering if he'd be better off telling his insurance company that he damaged the vehicle with one of his own owned cars. That was his idea, I figure that's some sort of insurance fraud and should be avoided, however if its to some of you a viable option then let me know. Thanks again folks, we're in California.

Wow, really guys? 95 of you read this over and couldn't point me in the right direction here? Haha. Take another look plz. Thanks!

Easy...
You're wife's boss is responsible for the accident. He will likely be rated in the future (doesn't matter his insurance company doesn't pay).

Of course, an 88 Civic that has been totaled once has a book value of probably around $600 (this will vary, don't take my word on it). This amount may be under the threshold for a rated accident. This will depend on your states rules.

Also, be careful about saying this won't impact the bosses father in laws rates. You don't know this. Most carriers have some sort of restriction on permissive user accidents, if it is the one and only, probably not a big deal. If it's multiple of them, they will likely be non-renewed.

Personally, it's probably time to take the civic in for the cash for clunkers program... well, last month....

Dan

Posted in General Discussion also, to get best possible response, will not spam in any other channels...Thanks for your advise.

Ok folks, well I'm a relatively new auto insurance agent and as it would happen my wife just got hit by her new boss backing out of the driveway on her first day at work on a new job. OF COURSE!!! Now the particulars are a bit out of my realm of knowledge. Her car is an 88 civic, was hit already on the other side for a total loss where the other party's insurance paid out 1400 on that first incident. Now her boss backed into her and the quotes for fixing it again are far over the value of the car. She never fixed the damage on the other side as it was a total loss and wasn't really worth fixing it at 1600 dollars. This time on the other side her boss smushed her in again, however he wasn't driving his own car. He was driving his father in laws car who is insured and the boss is insured also. I'm wondering what is going to happen. Obviously I know that the insurance stays with the car, so its his father-in-law's insurance that will pay the claim and that the father-in-law's insurance wont go up as he wasn't the cause of the accident (fact checking appreciated). What I'm wondering is, will her being paid on a total loss effect the payout this time around for the 2nd total loss. And will her bosses insurance rates go up because he was the driver of another car during this accident? I'm guessing that neither the boss' or father-in-law's insurance premiums will elevate as the one wasn't the cause of the accident and the other's insurance company didn't have to pay the claim. Please let me know folks, you've always been good to me. Also the boss is wondering if he'd be better off telling his insurance company that he damaged the vehicle with one of his own owned cars. That was his idea, I figure that's some sort of insurance fraud and should be avoided, however if its to some of you a viable option then let me know. Thanks again folks, we're in California.

I wouldn't think that anything would be paid for this loss.

It was totaled before. Once totaled, the value of the car became $0 for insurance purposes until repaired. It wasn't repaired, so you don't get anything.

I actually just had a client in almost the same boat a few months back.

Back