No Fault Law - Hit My Car with My Truck!

mprest1

ARRRRGGGHHHHH!:cry:

It was during the evening so it was dark... that's my only excuse. I backed out of my garage and cranked the wheel for the turn around and crunched my car. I live in Michigan - Michigan is 1 of few "no-fault" states. The truck has "full" coverage and the car does not. Both are insured through Porgressive. Progressive first had to verify that the title of the car was not in MY name, rather my wife's. I thought this was weird but i figured it to be related to fraud issues. Luckily (or so I thought) the car was in her name and her name ONLY, whereas the truck title has both our names. So then Progressive calls back later and says she needs to wait for clarification because of the no fault laws in michigan. I'm just wondering what your thoughts are if you know the no fault laws and can tell me if you think both vehicles shoud be covered by the truck's policy or not?
Thanks for reading,:)

No idea. Not even sure it would be covered in other states, since both cars are 'household' cars. The question is, can you subrogate back to yourself? Probably not.

Hopefully, the damage was minor.

You are not the first person to do this!

Dan

As long as her vehicle was considered legally parked and your vehicle has collision I don't see where there is a problem. Im not sure where no fault comes into play here since no one was hurt and she was not in her car.

Last edited:
The truck is covered less your collision deductible. The car has no collision coverage (PL/PD only) and is not covered. I hope that helps. The real question is why couldn't Progressive help you out ASAP? Let me know if you have any other questions about Michigan Auto Insurance.

FYI = The main thing is that nobody was hurt other than your pride / pocketbook.

There are variables that could change the outcome of the claim but I don't see why the car wouldn't be covered under the trucks property damage? It being his wifes car should have nothing to do with it. It should be treated like a normal auto accident. His truck is covered under collision less the deductable and the car should be paid by the trucks property damage. When you call certain companies you are normally speaking to a claims agent licensed in many states that takes the initial information and then assigns it to an adjuster. The claims agent over the phone is just going to take the details and give you very general answers.

Last edited:
Jason - In normal states, what you say is correct. Michigan plays by different rules, as the OP said, it is a no-fault state, meaning the policy on the vehicle pays, regardless of fault. Because of this, it is doubtful it will be covered.

I am not licensed in Michigan, have no real experience in Michigan claims, but, I did drive past a Holiday Inn Express recently in Michigan. My statement should not be viewed as anything other than an opinion, definitely not fact.

Dan

Jason - In normal states, what you say is correct. Michigan plays by different rules, as the OP said, it is a no-fault state, meaning the policy on the vehicle pays, regardless of fault. Because of this, it is doubtful it will be covered.

I am not licensed in Michigan, have no real experience in Michigan claims, but, I did drive past a Holiday Inn Express recently in Michigan. My statement should not be viewed as anything other than an opinion, definitely not fact.

Dan

Dan,
I am not a claims expert either and I am not licensed in MI but I am in other no fault states. So, I cannot say with absolute certainty that the claim will be covered. It is typical no-fault property damage laws don't cover damages to another's motor vehicle that were moving at the time of an accident, insurers usually will pay for damages to another's vehicle that are damaged while properly parked under PPI.
viewer

Last edited:
The contract will prevail. Bur a few things come to mind.
1. Better insured elsewhere exclusion. You had the opportunity to cover the car, you choose not to.
2. Can you PD yourself? I don't think so. For example, when you run into your house with your car, it is two claims, one auto, one home, two deductibles.

As discussed, what's in the contract will prevail, but I have never seen someone collect PPI against their own policy.

Good luck!

The contract will prevail. Bur a few things come to mind.
1. Better insured elsewhere exclusion. You had the opportunity to cover the car, you choose not to.
2. Can you PD yourself? I don't think so. For example, when you run into your house with your car, it is two claims, one auto, one home, two deductibles.

As discussed, what's in the contract will prevail, but I have never seen someone collect PPI against their own policy.

Good luck!
Yes, the policy will prevail but the exclusion normally applies to a vehicle owned by the policy holder but not covered on the policy. You are right it wouldn't be PPI. PPI would be if it was a vehicle not on your policy. In this case you need to have collision coverage on both vehicles for the damage to car to be covered.

The car is not covered under Michigan Law. He said he had no coverage on it. In Michigan, you have to have PL /PD (property liability and property damage) but you do not have to have COMP & COLLISION. He indicated that "the truck has full coverage the car does not". There is no such thing as full coverage, but people here in Michigan (ala the poster mprest1) take it to mean that the truck has comp & collision but the car didn't. In Michigan, any damage to your car is covered via the comp & collision on your policy. Thus, if you don't have comp & collision, then you do not have coverage. It doesn't involve the truck what so ever!

Michigan has unique / weird Auto Insurance! The minimum Personal Liability is 20/40 and the Property Damage is $1,000,000 for everybody in the state.

Michigan is the only state that offers unlimited medical coverage via your Auto policy. The good news is that if someone is hurt really bad and requires care for the rest of their life they are taken care of. The bad news is that we are all paying for it with our Michigan Auto Insurance Premiums.

I hope that helps!

Back