Notice of Non-renewal

kdeinv

Hello,

I have some questions regarding my automobile insurance and a non-renewal notice that I have been told is being sent to me. I have yet to receive the notice but they said it was due to too many claims and probably amount paid out. I pulled the CLUE report and it had 5 claims listed. They also stated that my homeowners and umbrella policy will not be renewed.

1. A deer hit our vehicle so we had to file this claim against our policy. $6,000 paid out back in 2012.

2. A claim of $69 for windshield repair (Not sure why this is a claim as it was to be free with our auto policy and prevented a larger repair). (2015)

3. Daughter caused an accident and totaled both vehicles. (3 years ago). $32,000 (2013) her fault.

4. Daughter wrecked another car and crashed into a fire hydrant no others involved. $9,000 totaled (2015). her fault

5. Son was in a wreck when someone hit him from behind while at a traffic light. Had to claim against own insurance and pay deductible to get car fixed. Still shows as open as my insurance co was going to sue the other ins co. $2,300 (2016). Still shows as open even though we received our deductible back.

These are the claims made.

My renewal is not until January so is there anything I can do or do I have to just accept their nonrenewal notice? Can I try to get this resolved since the 1 accident was not my sons fault and it should not be counted as I believe they got the money from the other ins co. (going to check on this)

Can they also not renew my homeowners and umbrella policy if it is only the auto issue?

Thanks In Advance

This is a great question for your agent. There may be certain change you can make to your policy where you got into the carrier guidelines again, or they may simply want to wash their hands of you due to claims frequency. In the latter case, ask your agent if they have another carrier who will take you.
No matter what the solution to your problem is, it can be reached by dialing the same phone number.
Of your agent is captive and just can't help you, then it is time to call an independent agent.
You should know that if you must change carriers, the most recent claim you reference will probably count against you until you can produce proof that your carrier has successfully subrogated.
As far as your other policies, that carrier likely does not want to offer umbrella without the underlying auto (or your claims history may also exceed their guidelines for umbrella - this does matter), and they may either not offer monoline home or just don't want to continue the relationship without the other lines of business.

I suspect the OP is long gone at this point.

This is the equivalent of chasing after the girl or boy who just dumped you. It is time to move on. Sure, the OP probably won't get the same rate they had before, although their current carrier wasn't going to give them the same anyway if they had been willing to renew.

kdeinv - claims & violations are generally counted for 3 years. Young drivers & frequent claims is never good from a rating standpoint.

What state are you in? Happy to take a look for you if you're in DE, MD, PA or NJ.

Back