NY Accident - when at Fault, Does It Make Sense to Claim Your Own Damage As Well?

misterrumbles

I made a left turn at a bad intersection and collided with another vehicle that was going right to left. My right fender was damaged as well as their left door. My insurance (21st Century) stated that we are going to claim fault.

The estimated repairs on my vehicle are 1200. I'm guessing from the damage on the other car, that it will be in this range also. My questions is: if I would pay for my own damages (deduct is 500) would this reduce impact on my policy or would I be better off having the repairs paid for by insurance since the accident is now on record?

I'm also not entirely sure how the NY 'no fault' rules factor into this.

Thanks very much in advance for your replies!

I don't know about NY rules, but in most states, once the accident is paid for the other car, adding your damage has no additional impact on your rates.

In short, unless someone here knows NY rules and feels otherwise, its best to let the insurance company pay both parts, there is no benefit to paying your own damage with over $1000 damage to both cars.

Dan

They're going to look at three things:
1. If the total dollar amount of the claim is over $1,000.
2. Who was at fault.
3. If there was any bodily injury.

Judging from what you've explained about the situation I don't think it makes any sense to not make your claim on your vehicle, you're already going to have your rates impacted most by the fact you were at fault, so you might as well make the claim.

Dan, this is one thing that NY does that makes sense :D

and the no fault thing has nothing to do with fault in your situation.

it is just a coverage to provide you medical care regardless of fault.

Back