Which Option is Better for Me?

zencoran

My 16 year old son accidentally side-swipped another car in the school parking lot. The damage is minimal, just scrapes and scratches on both cars except the car he hit has a slight dent in the bumper. No airbags deployed. His car is a 2003 Camry, and the car he hit is a 2008 Lexus 250c. We have American family insurance, our deducible is $500 and here's the problem I face: the guy who my son hit said we could give him $2000 and he would not report it to the insurance company or do anything. It would be like it never happened. OR we could file a claim with the insurance, but I don't know how much it would increase my son's insurance, which I pay. I can fix my son's car for almost no cost, but I don't know which is better in the long run, the $2000 or claim. Any advice?

..just in previous experience as a valet for 3 years dealing with accidents, the $2000 seems like a profit for him if the damage isn't that bad. But.. if you go through insurance, a $250-500 fix will turn into brand new parts for every piece of car that was touched which can get pricy. It's a tough call, but not dealing with the insurance companies is a plus side.

What guarantee do you have that he won't turn in the claim anyway?

thats a good point. I dont have a guarentee. Also, its not his car, but one of the cars that he tries to sell (hes a used car salesman) if that matters. But assuming he wont turn in the claim, what would be my best bet?

thats a good point. I dont have a guarentee. Also, its not his car, but one of the cars that he tries to sell (hes a used car salesman) if that matters. But assuming he wont turn in the claim, what would be my best bet?

I'd probably turn in the claim. Does he hold title to the car, either personally or as the dealer? If he is an employee of the lot then you could easily be paying him 2000 and have the lot turn in a claim on you.

Based on what you've written, I'm not sure who owns the vehicle. Because of that, if you do decide to pay him, I'd make him show me the title in his name. You could make him write out a statement that he accepts the 2000 as full compensation for the damages, but it probably wouldn't hold up if he tried filing too.

You need to consider what will happen if you do turn the claim in. I'm sure you're already paying extreme rates for your 16 year old son (the most expensive kind of driver to insure) but consider what your rates will be after he has a claim against him.

It will probably be much less expensive in the long run to pay the $2k and not have your rates go into the stratosphere.

I'd let your insurance know but not file a collision claim on your own car. Just let him file a liability claim only.

Is the damage on the Lexus limited to the bumper only or did it scrape a fender and dent in the bumper cover? What color is the Lexus?

I'd let your insurance know but not file a collision claim on your own car. Just let him file a liability claim only.

Is the damage on the Lexus limited to the bumper only or did it scrape a fender and dent in the bumper cover? What color is the Lexus?
The bump is on the bumper. There is a small scratch on the fender. The car is black.

Black isn't a 3 stage color that year and black won't need to be blended. If the bumper cover needs replaced (too disformed to straighten with heat), it's only $384 new from Lexus. The aftermarket factory parts aren't big for Lexus and reman covers have limited availability. It won't be $2k in damage though. Just let him file a claim against you.

If you really need to pay it on your own ask him to get you 3 estimates and you will pay him.

Not sue if I would pay $2k on my own..even if your insurance go up it will be over time not by $2K.

Back