Policy Cancelled After 2 Day Late Payment? (California)

Equinista

Would a company cancel your policy for making a payment 2 days late? I usually pay on time, or even a day early but this time my debit card's monthly fee was taken out sooner than expected which caused me to be $12 short of having the full payment, and i had to wait 2 days until I had money to put on my debit card.

I always have to wait 48 hours before i can check my insurance account online after making a payment and When i checked this time i was horrified to see it said "Sorry we can not allow payments to your policy due to a change in your policy or your billing method please contact us for more information"
Not quite the exact words said, but very close.

I am going to be calling later today.

Would they really drop me for a 2 day late payment? I am freaking out. :(

Thank you. (:

Would a company cancel your policy for making a payment 2 days late? I usually pay on time, or even a day early but this time my debit card's monthly fee was taken out sooner than expected which caused me to be $12 short of having the full payment, and i had to wait 2 days until I had money to put on my debit card.

I always have to wait 48 hours before i can check my insurance account online after making a payment and When i checked this time i was horrified to see it said "Sorry we can not allow payments to your policy due to a change in your policy or your billing method please contact us for more information"
Not quite the exact words said, but very close.

I am going to be calling later today.

Would they really drop me for a 2 day late payment? I am freaking out. :(

Thank you. (:

Do not rely on the online customer service. Just call them and sort it out. I'd say - before you freak out - just call them

Call them!

Each state has their own cancellation notification laws. If you were issued a Notice Of Cancellation, and were 2 days past that date, you've got a problem.

If you were 2 days late on a regular monthy payment, it shouldn't be a huge deal.

Call them.

I don't know Cali laws, but I agree with MVI & insuregeek. this shouldn't be a big deal. if you bought through an agent instead of the lizard or any other 1-800 company, it would be no problem at all. just call your agent. but even if you bought direct from a company, a simple call should fix the problem.

for future reference, if payday is missing short that close to the due date, you can always buy at least one day (and usually more than that) by mailing a check to them. as long as it's postmarked on or before the due date, the payment will be processed as if you payed it on the postmark date.

You need a better Agency/Brokerage. Call MGB Insurance Services LLC. Generally speaking most insurance companies that offer A rated paper and have replacement cost will give some latitude on payment schedules, but may incur late fees. If you have an Agent and don't make a habit of paying late generally we as brokers can waive the late fees on your behalf. Some companies will keep insurance bound for 2 months of non-payment. But, it depends on the company.

Back