Progressive OEM Parts in Ohio

bass_singer

I have a 2009 Camry at 56k. I was rear-ended by a driver insured by Progressive. The other driver was at fault. I decided to file a claim on Progressive for the car repair. The bumper needs to be replaced
Progressive sent someone for a field inspection and an estimate for a repair. When I saw their estimate, I noticed that they are going to use after market parts to replace the bumper. I wanted an OEM part since it's not my fault. Apparently, they dictates what parts to replace the damage even though it was their driver's fault.

Has anybody got into a similar situation like this? Is it true that Progressive decides which parts to use? What should I do?

If you have collision coverage on your car and have OEM parts replacement coverage, simply file the claim through your carrier and have them get reimbursed by Progressive. It becomes a non-issue then.

If you don't pay extra for OEM parts replacement, then you will get after market parts for a 2009. Odds are, you'll actually get a refurbished OEM bumper anyway.

Dan

What part of OH are you located? I run a body shop in Cincinnati. My Toyota dealer will price-match Aftermarket parts all day long. Call the shop you want to use and make sure they will go that extra step for you. I'd guess that most will.

I'd never use a reconditioned bumper.....I know that they come off of wrecked cars and from behind my dumpster, picked up by companies that recondition them and try to sell them back to me.

It used to be that a claimant could insist on new OEM's, but then the insurance companies figured out that if it was THAT important to you - you'd have it on your own policy. Some will go ahead and pay it on a claimant car in that case because they'd end up paying it in subrogation anyway, but others will insist you make a collision claim on your policy.

Last edited:
Back