Progressive Quote - Direct Vs Broker

noctor

I was doing a test quote on progressive, i asked my broker friend to quote me and i also did a quote on the progressive website. The data is exactly the same.

The quote is lower from the progressive website by maybe 5 - 10 % (i forgot).

Is this the case? progressive offering better quote directly vs broker?

Thank you.

I was doing a test quote on progressive, i asked my broker friend to quote me and i also did a quote on the progressive website. The data is exactly the same.

Thank you.

Yes, in most cases direct is cheaper with Progressive. I don't use them for price shoppers though mainly for clients who were referred who have issues on their driving record.

With a clean record I have more competitive options. Progressive also pays the least commission in addition to competing against their own agents for business.

Thank you.

In NY some of the agents do not have "progressive Choice" they have regular progressive. Choice in my area comes out cheaper than a website or call center progressive quote. Sometimes its like $5 a month sometimes its a lot more. I always requite people who tell me they have bought a progressive policy directly and I always get the deal.

It is so annoying that they give cheaper prices direct. A few years ago the change the name for agent quoting to Drive. That didn't work out well.

I have switched people from Progressive direct to Progressive through our agency. I would guess it is a case by case basis for which comes out cheaper.

Then again, maybe I just don't have enough experience yet to know.

Ive been beaten by progressive vs my progressive price several times. We have progressive northern here. Makes sense, in the southeast lol. They claim it can go either way because their guidelines are somehow different, but I've yet to beat progressive direct with my own progressive quote.

I try not to place business through Progressive for the reason that another user posted: they compete with their own agents. I also can't stand Flo. I just place my non-standards with Flo until they're able to qualify for my standard carriers.

But to answer your question, yes there maybe a slight difference in rate. There are different expenses that are incurred from different distribution methods (i.e. overhead in call centers and agent commissions).

Ah Progressive. My First love when I was on the agency side in College. I still have a unique fondness for them. The rep back then got me my first interview with Safeco up in Seattle. He got me on the carrier side. I guess I will always have a unique fondness for Progressive for that reason. They are smart, they have snapshot and now have data that others are struggling to compile and that will give then a competitive edge for another decade. It all comes down to Data, how much you have, and if you can make it talk in ways that make sense.

Tonight I drink (a glass of Water) to Progressive.

Last edited:
selling progressive is tricky... because of the direct but, in most cases trying to explain the coverages, that is worth the few dollars to most customers... and if its not, they are not your customer anyways.

Back