Progressive "Snapshot" Program

Time to revive this thread, lol.

Obviously, some people aren't reading the whole thread.

Snapshot does not track acceleration or speed. Only how quick you are stopping.

Also, it's the perfect answer for all the whiny people whom complain that they don't drive a lot of miles. Unless you want to have your odometer verified by a company rep every wekk or something like that. That would be inconvenient.

Yes it only tracks deceleration, but it doesn't account for a very small window of speed between 10-0 mph. Device never beeps, short stops show up on web output, rate goes up. No thanks, Progressive.

Feel free to test this yourself if you think those devices are the end all, be all. Someone is going to pay for their advertising, but it sure as hell isn't going to be me.

Yes, I know, I'm adding to an 8 1/2 year old thread. So sue me.

I'm using Progressive's Snapshot devices since August. I was going to start a new thread asking for how the program worked out for others. Then I ran a search and found this thread.

Seems like quite a few agents and insureds have had success with the program and have made positive comments while others are treating the program like anti-vaxxers are treating the Covid vaccines.

I freely admit to being one of those whiny old guys who don't drive much and are the only driver on multiple cars and can't get insurance cheap enough to contemplate limited use. I have a 2011 Crown Vic for regular driving. I put about 1500 miles per year on it. I have a 2003 Dodge Dakota that goes back and forth to Home Depot a few times a year for project supplies. Those two get liability only. I have a 2020 Dodge Challenger for full coverage. I use it occasionally for enjoyment and in the 18 months since I bought it new I've only put 1400 miles on it.

I was insured by Pekin in Arizona for 8 years until August. Pekin was very competitive in Arizona. I shop every year and nobody could come close. My August renew comes along and my premium went from $1200 per year to $1800 per year. No reason. Didn't need one. I spent my adult life in the insurance industry. I've seen it before. Buy business with low rates, after a few years the claims catch up and the rates go up. I was surprised that it took 8 years. Usually happens in 3 or 4.

I was ticked, of course. No accidents, no tickets, 800 credit score, defensive driving course every three years, home/auto discount, yada, yada, yada.

I shopped with quite a few carriers (direct and through my independent agent) and I was getting quotes much higher than the $1800 annual premium. Progressive came in at $624 for 6 months with the initial discount for using the devices.

My renewal is early February and I feel encouraged by the positive experiences related here.

Now that the thread is updated maybe we'll see more experiences. I'll certainly come back with my results.

Back