Progressive "Snapshot" Program

Anybody heard of this auto discount program available (for now only) in 20 states? Easily installed tracking device "tracks" your driving habits (speed, mileage, time of day,) and sends messsge to Progressive. Discounts are rewarded up to 30% off . Supposedly, Travelers is also looking into a similar program.

Not a fan of this at all. Just wait until they deny a claim based on info retrieved from their "black box"

Odd...I see this as a huge marketing opportunity !! Of course I'm not going to brand it as progressive's snapshot program...I'm thinking more along the lines of a headline how a "Local Agent Uncovers 30% Insurance Savings Loophole" call for confidential information packet right away...we'll even include your complimentary quote comparison. Of course we'll quote all carriers...including progressive...and write it with whoever

Maybe I've finally lost all touch with reality ??? Or I really AM that "outside the box" with my marketing:1cool:

...was with Progressive. I have zero tickets, zero accidents and they kept jacking my rates. When I called they told me it was typical area increases.

I ditched 'em and went right back to the rates I was used to paying. Avoid...they lowball.

WOW!
I have never read so much ignorance and paranoia.
This little black box sends progressive info on your speed during braking (i.e. how hard you brake), the number of times you start vehicle (i.e. # of trips), the miles you drive, and the make model and vin of vehicle. It does not monitor impacts, collisions, if speeding and there is no way for it to do that anyway. You can argue all day long how they can but if you have a decent IQ you will easily see how flawed such logic would be. For example the connection would easily send out signal of airbag deployment but they have no way to know if this is malfunction, mechanical repair, or actually an accident.

ANDDDDDDDDDDDDDDD...........
there is none, zero, nada, zilch chance of increase in premium.

No I do not work for them nor have I ever. I routinely switch between them and esurance myself as the 2 have the lowest rates (nobody else is even close) but they both compete so often can get better rate simply by switching and switching back again in 6-12 months. I have filed 3 claims with Progressive in my life and all 3 were very easy and favorable for me.

You people really need to get the tinfoil off your heads and open your eyes. The information is all out there, free, and easy to find. This is not some conspiracy. It is a way for Progressive to be able to offer lower rates and keep customers with those low rates without taking unwarranted risk for the company. In other words, if driver BOB is really super safe then we can give him 30% off but there is only one way to know, and that is with the Snapshot, otherwise they may give BOB 30% off and then find out lots of claims because he ISN'T a super safe driver. Driving records do NOT always indicate safe driving habits. people who obey ALL traffic laws may still hammer gas on green, tailgate, and slam brakes on red causing other bad drivers more likely hood of collision.

ME? I used Snapshot personally for 30 days and got 28% discount. The only thing I did was put a note on dash reminding me to brake softly which has in turn made me a better driver because I have to be more aware and look ahead better. And progressive surely has no problem with customers becoming better drivers and they know if you force yourself to drive different for 30 days it may well become habit.

DON"T BE SO PARANOID.......geeeesh

WOW!
I have never read so much ignorance and paranoia.
This little black box sends progressive info on your speed during braking (i.e. how hard you brake), the number of times you start vehicle (i.e. # of trips), the miles you drive, and the make model and vin of vehicle. It does not monitor impacts, collisions, if speeding and there is no way for it to do that anyway. You can argue all day long how they can but if you have a decent IQ you will easily see how flawed such logic would be. For example the connection would easily send out signal of airbag deployment but they have no way to know if this is malfunction, mechanical repair, or actually an accident.

ANDDDDDDDDDDDDDDD...........
there is none, zero, nada, zilch chance of increase in premium.

No I do not work for them nor have I ever. I routinely switch between them and esurance myself as the 2 have the lowest rates (nobody else is even close) but they both compete so often can get better rate simply by switching and switching back again in 6-12 months. I have filed 3 claims with Progressive in my life and all 3 were very easy and favorable for me.

You people really need to get the tinfoil off your heads and open your eyes. The information is all out there, free, and easy to find. This is not some conspiracy. It is a way for Progressive to be able to offer lower rates and keep customers with those low rates without taking unwarranted risk for the company. In other words, if driver BOB is really super safe then we can give him 30% off but there is only one way to know, and that is with the Snapshot, otherwise they may give BOB 30% off and then find out lots of claims because he ISN'T a super safe driver. Driving records do NOT always indicate safe driving habits. people who obey ALL traffic laws may still hammer gas on green, tailgate, and slam brakes on red causing other bad drivers more likely hood of collision.

ME? I used Snapshot personally for 30 days and got 28% discount. The only thing I did was put a note on dash reminding me to brake softly which has in turn made me a better driver because I have to be more aware and look ahead better. And progressive surely has no problem with customers becoming better drivers and they know if you force yourself to drive different for 30 days it may well become habit.

DON"T BE SO PARANOID.......geeeesh

Holy cow! For being your first post........What a friggin DICK!

Go back to your progressive cubicle

Back