Progressive "Snapshot" Program

there's another picture floating out there somewhere that has the geico caveman having Flo bent over a desk. with the words "so easy even a caveman could hit it".

I tried to find it but no luck.

I hate to burst your Orwellian bubble guys, but do some research on OBD 3, (cars currently run on OBD2 technology). It's becoming federally mandated in all cars sold here in the US in the next 2 years, and I have heard that OBD 3 technology will transmit vehicle data while your driving down the road to transmitters installed along our nation's roadways. It's primary purpose is to gather the data about your car's emissions, eliminating your annual trip to your state's emmision check facility. Sounds great, right? The problem is that this technology also will be able to upload all of the vehicle's data as well, such as throttle position, brake force, miles driven and when driven and....so on. I will bet you any amount of money the auto insurance industry will be lobbying to get a hold of this data and apply the newly found data to their sophisticated actuarial rating sequence, thereby increasing or decreasing your auto rates based upon data collected. I could even see the day that this methodology will take place even while quoting someone's car. You will need to enter the VIN so the company can accurately quote the insurance rate. All in all, I think the "Big Brother" technology is coming whether you want it to or not. You better hurry up and buy that V8 Camaro or Hemi Challenger that is still equipped with OBD 2!

I hate to burst your Orwellian bubble guys, but do some research on OBD 3, (cars currently run on OBD2 technology). It's becoming federally mandated in all cars sold here in the US in the next 2 years, and I have heard that OBD 3 technology will transmit vehicle data while your driving down the road to transmitters installed along our nation's roadways. It's primary purpose is to gather the data about your car's emissions, eliminating your annual trip to your state's emmision check facility. Sounds great, right? The problem is that this technology also will be able to upload all of the vehicle's data as well, such as throttle position, brake force, miles driven and when driven and....so on. I will bet you any amount of money the auto insurance industry will be lobbying to get a hold of this data and apply the newly found data to their sophisticated actuarial rating sequence, thereby increasing or decreasing your auto rates based upon data collected. I could even see the day that this methodology will take place even while quoting someone's car. You will need to enter the VIN so the company can accurately quote the insurance rate. All in all, I think the "Big Brother" technology is coming whether you want it to or not. You better hurry up and buy that V8 Camaro or Hemi Challenger that is still equipped with OBD 2!

And there is the problem with Americans. Most don't have a clue what is actually going on. Chevy cars are the best example with the On-Star system. For whatever unknown reasons people think that if they don't pay the monthly fee that On-Star can't track them. They are to ignorant to understand that they're being tracked whether they have a subscription or not. For years rental cars have tracked their cars via satilite to make sure the renter isn't going somewhere the car isn't suppose to go.

Big brother is here whether people realize it or not. Camara's on every street light. Satilite tracking your car location 24/7. Cell phones tracking your personal location and what's worse are the idiots that allow themself to have a computer chip put inside them. All of this done in the name of protecting us.

I'm so sadden on how stupid Americans have become. We are no longer the land of the free.

I personally don't think this is a bad idea. I've been told by Progressive that they capture speed, braking and acceleration, and time driving after midinight. Frankly, I believe them because the legal liability potential of keeping location information is just too high.

I also think that what gets tracked gets done better. Management, life, business...it is just true. If I know I'm being watched I'll drive better, which will eventually just be a habit. I might be a fool, but I like the device and will try to sell the option here in Ohio.

Seriously, it sounds like people are trying to get away with murder on here since they're afraid that someone will know their every move. Get over it. They track you for 30 days to determine the discount for the current term then another 5 months to determine the renewal discount, then you mail it back. They may ask you to redo it if you move or if you add another car. If you straight up trade your car in for another, they won't ask you to do it again. The discount is either 0% or 30%, never an increase. The closer you approach 15,000 miles per year the closer you get to 0%. They also track hard-braking per 100 miles. Thats decelerating faster than 7 mph or more per second. They allow for a certain amount per day. The last thing is driving between midnight and 4am. This seemed to be the most costly for me as each time I did it, it slashed my discount in half each time. I read on other boards about how "its none of the insurance companies business" and stuff like that. Well guess what, its voluntary. This is for all of the crybabies who say they barely drive their cars. Guess what, most companies don't care if you drive a million miles or zero miles a year. They can't keep track of all of that. I don't think most people will qualify for this program, but if it was more lenient, the problem with the program would be that it would shift more burden onto the riskier people. And by riskiest, I mean people who are decent drivers in general, because the riskiest people don't even have insurance anyway. Its getting rediculous.

First I'd take one of those snapshot widgets and tie a little rope around it to make a ball-gag. Then I'd have a few drinks with Flo and see where things went from there... I'm just friendly that way.

Hm I gotta admit i don't like this idea that much, I mean who sets the guidelines for whats considered safe driving they could easily set it for if you even go one mile over the speed limit you don't get your discount.

its an ADDED discount, if your screw everything up, your rates WONT go up, you can simply earn more of a discount,

Back