Progressive "Snapshot" Program

Does it mean that it can be used in accident investigation by insurance companies, then its just like black box for aircrafts. All the data can be used to write violations and investigation. It may have its positives and negatives.
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
Insurance companies can track cars thro' these tracking systems but I hope they do take in consideration road condition, rush hour traffic, weather conditions, time of the day and many more variables in order to be fair to all drivers. One may have to suddenly apply brakes to avoid accident or accelerate to get out of way from crashing. I am sure we can write all the algorithums to quanitate everything with technology. I don't know how much real benefit one would get other than just another application of technology. We didn't have technology 10-15 years back and I don't think insurance rates have come down based on tracking technology.

Last edited:
I think that if you're paranoid about it, then you have something to hide and the insurance companies probably don't want you to have the discount anyway.

If you don't think you'll have anything to hide and want to save some extra money, then you should do it.

P.S. They only monitor you for 6 months and then you return it, so just behave for 6 months and you'll be good.

Tracking devices have not been used long enough for you to see them effect insurance rates. You will be see them change rates soon enough. No idea if it will bring them down. I do think it will make premium more accurate 10-15 years from now.

Tracking devices have not been used long enough for you to see them effect insurance rates. You will be see them change rates soon enough. No idea if it will bring them down. I do think it will make premium more accurate 10-15 years from now.

UMMMMM, With Progressive, it can affect your rate.....:goofy::swoon:

I had it in my regular use car and got a 30% discount. I wanted to try it before telling clients about it. Our average agency savings is about 23%! Really good for families with new drivers and I have been impressed how many of the kids have got all 30%. I don't think it means your a good driver but do have patience!

Word to the wise. I used it for a couple of months and it drained the battery on my 04 Lexus so I had to replace it. Progressive reimbursed me but it was a hassle. They gave me a 21 percent discount. My local agent had the gall to call and ask me to pose in a marketing photo for Snapshot. I told her Progressive should reimburse me for my time of testing the battery, getting it replaced, etc. I told her I felt like a guinea pig. I think she got the point. Buyer beware!!

Word to the wise. I used it for a couple of months and it drained the battery on my 04 Lexus so I had to replace it. Progressive reimbursed me but it was a hassle. They gave me a 21 percent discount. My local agent had the gall to call and ask me to pose in a marketing photo for Snapshot. I told her Progressive should reimburse me for my time of testing the battery, getting it replaced, etc. I told her I felt like a guinea pig. I think she got the point. Buyer beware!!

I call BS, how do you know it just wasnt your battery going bad, looking to blame someone else for something that happens to hundreds it not thousands of people a day, a dead battery....

Guess you cant blame it on leaving your cell phone plugged in, or the GPS plugged in, or anything else, find someone other than yourself to blame.....
Progressive has 1000's of these out there and havent heard a problem before.

Back