Progressive "Snapshot" Program

CCWriter

Expert
Anybody heard of this auto discount program available (for now only) in 20 states? Easily installed tracking device "tracks" your driving habits (speed, mileage, time of day,) and sends messsge to Progressive. Discounts are rewarded up to 30% off . Supposedly, Travelers is also looking into a similar program.

The one I have for health insurance is working great. It's a chip implanted in my arm that monitors everything I do.

When I work out and eat right I get a 15% discount off my premiums. But if I eat more than 500 calories in a meal it sends an electric shock through my body. Initially I passed out but now I'm used to it.

This is all going totally off the reservation. Seriously.

Why in the world would you want to submit to something like that? Even if your premium was 3,000 a year, we are talking about saving 450 a year. And in return, Progressive gets to know your every move. Sounds like a great deal to me, where do I sign up? :no:

Right. In the mean time you shaved a couple of miles off your app to get lower rates - said you drove 20K a year. Now you install this and it's tracking 35K a year and ooops - premiums just went up.

You said your round trip drive to work was 22 miles and the day after you install this you get a call "We've tracked your round trip mileage to work as being 32.6 miles sir...."

The potential for this to backfire is unlimited. Say you're in a small accident. Would this device be able to tell? If so, there goes your option of just stroking a check to the person you hit to avoid filing a claim.

I'm sure it will tie into all the systems. The accelerometers will sense the sudden deceleration and the program will tell on you. Just hitting the brakes hard could trigger an "accident" report.

Plus, it is just one more thing for the government to tap into to monitor your activities. Watch them get access to this data without a warrant. Big brother is watching.

Other than the fact that big brother is watching you and can change the way they use it at will there are circumstances where it could pay someone to use it.
Currently if your driving habits are bad there is no surcharge you just don't get the discount. If you happen to have an extra car in the household that sits in the garage most of the time you can just put it on the one car. If you decide you don't want to play anymore you just send it back and go back the way you were (50 bucks if you fail to mail back to Progressive).
For a client that drives like a snail and doesn't brake heavy it is a break for them.
My understanding is it measures accelaration and braking.
Just remember however you drive, FLO KNOWS!!

Safeco has offered this as part of their teensurance program for years. It will send the parent a text or email if the vehicles is driven late at night, over 75 mph or outside of a designated area. I have not found many parents that like it even when watching over their own kids... people value their privacy.

I'm with progressive right now and they've offer it for an extra discount of total 30% if your habit is good. But in order to save 30% you must not drive at all to receive that much. As soon as you drive they'll start deducting the discount. They have a calculator on their site. I think it's stupid to have it install. It plugs into your obd2 reader or where they connect the scan tool, if you've ever had your car tested before for check engine light.

Back