PSA - Collision Repair

INSUREGEEK

Super Genius
100+ Post Club
Ohio
I have about a dozen insurance credentials, but these days I manage a body shop owned by my brother. I wish we could go back to the days when the agent helped manage the claim! These days the carriers all want to keep the agent out of the process. So with that in mind, here's what you don't know about the claim process in regards to vehicle repair:

All carriers want to use their preferred shops. Steering is illegal, but there's a reason they do this. They have negotiated discounts and repair priority status with the shops. Lesson 1 - The quickest and least expensive repair is usually one done by 'their' shop.

That's not always a bad thing. Our shop has 2 such agreements, but we refuse to sacrifice the quality of our work to satisfy any insurance company. Lesson 2 - As long as the shop is committed to the car's owner above all else, it's OK to use a preferred shop.

Some carriers only want to pay for the cheapest available used and/or aftermarket parts regardless of anything else. Some will allow automatic new OEM in certain cases. I recently had a brand new Lexus where the company wanted me to use a cheap knock-off bumper. I didn't happen that way because we refused. Another shop might have done it. Lesson 3 - know your carriers' claim philosophy and use it to sell a better product with a higher price. If they offer an OEM endorsement, sell it too!

We love having relationships with the agents in our area. It's OK to find a shop or two you like and suggest your customers stop in for an estimate before submitting a claim. We just need the full story so we can educate them on what to expect if/when they submit a claim. Lesson 4 - follow up with your customers about their repair experience and don't be afraid to go outside of the preferred shop network....we won't let you down!

We can spot an estimate shopper and a dishonest story a mile away. There is almost nothing we have not seen and heard before. It's OK to cash out the claim and not repair the car. Sometimes one can use that cash and negotiate a different repair. Lesson 5 - encourage your customers to be honest with the body shop because we can't simply "cover up" a deductible.

I think I'll stop there. I have much more to say though. Feel free to ask me anything about the claims process from the repair side and I'll do my best to address all comments.

Last edited:
Can you explain aftermarket parts? I have always wanted to understand better.

Can you explain aftermarket parts? I have always wanted to understand better.

Sure!

OEM = Original Equipment Manufacturer. Lexus made parts on your Lexus.

Aftermarket - A/M = Parts made by someone else. They are generic parts, if you will. They're either made from molds discarded by the manufacturer, or copied from parts taken from wrecked cars. They are not nearly the same quality as OEM either in materials used, or they way they fit onto a car. There are many brands out there and some are better than others. Some are supposedly certified, while others are not.

That all being said, not all A/M parts are bad. Some are actually of same kind & quality and much more cost effective. But when it comes to body panels and bumpers, no way do I want a thinner, cheaper, ill fitting bumper on a brand new Lexus. However, if I have a 1997 Avalon and need a fix on the cheap so it won't total....those A/M parts start looking pretty good. Some parts are only available as A/M - mostly truck stuff like step bars and bed covers.

Know that some carriers will always, always, always, write estimates for the absolute cheapest part available, even if I have to have it shipped from CA to OH. These days a lot of the manufacturers have price-matching programs so that everyone gets what they want. The customer gets the best repair, and the carrier pays less.

Thanks for asking! I hope this helps.

PSA - Addendum: Rental Cars

Yes, everyone should absolutely have Rental Reimbursement coverage on their policies. Note the word "reimbursement". That's incredibly important, and will come up again later.

Most carriers will approve a rental (either via a collision+RR, or an acceptance of liability to a claimant) right off the bat. However, that does NOT mean it's OK to go get a rental and wait 2 weeks to call a body shop. Why? It might take me a week to get parts, and another week to fit you into the schedule. There went that 30 days of rental car!!

If your car is driveable: get it into a shop for an estimate ASAP. I can advise you on all of the details surrounding the parts procurement and repair processes, including securing a rental. We can make a plan that works for you.

If your car is not driveable: know that you jumped ahead of every car already scheduled into the shop, and we will do our absolute best to get you done as soon as humanly possible. Depending on the year/make/model of your car, this can be a problem. Bring me a 1999 Mercury and I will have trouble getting parts. Bring be a 2015 Highlander and I will still have trouble getting parts. It's a crap-shoot sometimes, but we will try.

Know the difference between driveable and non-driveable: If you drove it away from the scene of the accident, and proceeded to drive it to work every day for 2 weeks, it's not suddenly non-driveable on a Friday afternoon because your vacation starts on Monday and you can't possibly drive a car with a crack in the bumper from OH to FL. True story!

Reimbursement: The carrier generally determines how many days of rental car you get based on what the body shop says. We tell them how long to get parts, and how long the repair is expected to take. While most will pay for it directly, the rental is technically a reimbursement of costs. That's especially important at the completion of the repair. If your car is done on Tuesday...you have about 24 hours to turn in the rental. It is not acceptable to wait until Friday to do that. You will get charged the overage.

The moral of the rental car saga: Get thee to a shop one way or another, be legit, and we will advise you properly. When special circumstances are in play, we will fight for you. We understand that not everyone can jump when the carrier says so. We just need to know what we're dealing with, and we need customers to be as flexible as they can be. Agents often muse that folks can make time for doctors & lawyers, but not for them. Body shops are in the same boat. Having a car off the road is incredibly inconvenient and a completely confusing thing to deal with. Let the shop help you.

Last edited:
Sound advice.

As an agent, it always amazed me how many people would decline rental car coverage and then, when an accident occurred, complain about not having the coverage.

If they only have a single car, agents really need to push rental coverage! These are the ones that tend to try to avoid anything that will add $2 a month to their bill though.

Dan

Back