Question About Updating License to New State

onefastman

Currently my vehicles are licensed and insured in Illinois where I own a home and used to primarily reside. I now have a Missouri license as well as a country home and an apartment in Saint Louis. My predicament is that my Illinois license (which my geico insurance uses) shows two tickets 1-5mph over) and it raised my rate ~33%. My Missouri license is clean.

Is it possible to update my license information in Geico's system to show a clean record (thus lowering my rates) but still show the vehicles residing at my home in IL (which is where they are)?

I have my attorney working on getting the tickets removed but it's a slow process that isn't guaranteed and I am adding a new car that isn't cheap even with a clean record so the cost difference is considerable.

The other option would be to call a new carrier and just give them my new MO license but I would want to keep my vehicles in IL for tax reasons and Saint Louis has higher rates (MO has personal property tax). Also, being a young single make I think it would be hard to find a carrier that won't hose me on rates given the cars.

Any advice on how I can make this work? Objectives are to keep cars in IL, get a rate with a clean record, which my Missouri license has.

it goes by where the vehicles are garaged, not residence. so you should have no problems living in MO and having an MO license, while insuring the vehicles in IL.

however, I think your chances of flying under the radar on those speeding tickets are slim to none.

Last edited:
it goes by where the vehicles are garaged, not residence. so you should have no problems living in MO and having an MO license, while insuring the vehicles in IL (of course, it will have to be insured in IL).

however, I think your chances of flying under the radar on those speeding tickets are slim to none.

Even if my current Missouri License is ticket free?

If I called another carrier and they ran my VMR for my MO license it would be clean and they would only have access to my Missouri license, so I'm confused how they could know about tickets on my old IL license. If I'm wrong here, please let me know.

My concern (now that I can apparently house vehicles in IL) is that I stay with Geico as they are cheapest for what I want to do.

Is there any way that I could update my license with Geico and then request that they re-run my driving record off my new license?

If so would they go off what is listed there or what is listed there plus what was on my old license?

Back