Question on Out of State Driver

iEngineer

Hello. I'm looking for some input on a confusing matter I seem to be going through.

My girlfriend maintains minimum residency requirements in Ohio. I live in Pennsylvania and have two vehicles on my policy. Both of these vehicles are solely in my name and are registered in PA. She is the primary driver on one of these vehicles.

The insurance company wants her to obtain a PA license. When I asked why, my agent couldn't give a clear answer. She just said the underwriters prefer this. To me prefer is much different than require.

Has anyone else heard of this? What do you think my options are? She could also meet PA residency requirements but she would prefer to remain an OH residency. Since the car is in my name, I need to keep my insurance on it. From my research I've done so far it sounds like non owner insurance is hard to get as well.

I appreciate any options or ideas you may be able to provide.

Yes, her driver's license doesn't match the state in which the vehicle is titled and garaged. Raises all kinds of questions.

Also, sometimes prefer is a polite way of saying require. You may need to get clarification on this.

If the auto is garaged in Ohio, Ohio law might require registration there, so this could be more than an insurance issue. If she is pulled over by law enforcement and they see an Ohio resident driving a vehicle registered in Pennsylvania, they may ask questions that result in problems.

From my research I've done so far it sounds like non owner insurance is hard to get as well.

Not true at all. I write non owners policies in both Ohio and PA... The thing is, a non-owners policy wouldn't be a good fit in her case due to her driving the vehicle on a regular basis.

A broad form named driver policy would be a better idea... the downside to it is that no comp or collision coverage is offered on a BFND policy.

Thanks for the input guys. To answer a few questions that came up here:

The auto is garaged in PA, and is primarily driven in PA but occasionally is driven in OH and WV (we are right on the borders of all 3).

Since she drives both of the autos I wanted to make sure she would be covered should anything happen. From talking to my agent she suggested that we list her as a driver since they determined that she would be more than just an occasional use driver. We listed her with her OH license, then almost 2 months later they requested she get a PA license.

It just seemed odd to me because as long as they have the right info on where everything is located, and access to driver info and the driver is legal then IMO, it should be fine but apparently not.

It shouldn't have anything to do with law enforcement either, my brother is a sheriff deputy in OH and said that as long as everything is legal all they'll do is ask if you have permission to use the vehicle. If it seems shady, they said they would get additional info that you do have permission but usually your just fine. I know myself that I frequently use rental vehicles for work with all sorts of different plates on them.

BlockO: The auto in question doesn't have Comp or Collision on it anyway so could a BFND be added for this auto while still having full coverage on the other auto under one policy, or is what your suggesting be 2 policies?

I don't know if that would work though because I would like her to be able to drive both autos when convenient.

I think ultimately we are just going to get her a PA license since it appears that it will be the simplest solution.

or is what your suggesting be 2 policies?

I don't know if that would work though because I would like her to be able to drive both autos when convenient.

I think ultimately we are just going to get her a PA license since it appears that it will be the simplest solution.

yes, it would be two policies. and BFND policies don't attach to vehicles, so she would have liability coverage driving either of your cars.

but yeah, simply getting her PA license would be the best idea... I was just giving you a plan B because it didn't sound like she wanted to do that.

Thanks for the advice everyone.

You are correct Block that she really didn't want to change licenses. But at the same time I don't think the BFND is the best option either. Especially since I'm the future we will likely replace the one auto and then need full coverage.

It still seems crazy to me that the insurance company would dictate the need for a state license matching where it's registered at. Even when all other requirements (such as residency) are met and everything is valid. I'm more puzzled that there's no neighboring state exemptions. I would understand if she was licensed in California and I was trying to tell them the auto was garaged in PA, but for neighboring states, especially near the border, just seems odd to me. I guess it's just the way it is though.

Again thanks for the help! Hope everyone has a Happy New Year!

It still seems crazy to me that the insurance company would dictate the need for a state license matching where it's registered at.

Seems crazy to me too... It must be a company specific thing that they have a pet peeve with.

I could understand if it was HER vehicle, why they would require that, but it's not. It's YOUR vehicle.....

so, in effect, you're really only adding her as a driver because she drives way more frequently than just occasionally.

I don't see what their problem with that is. None of the carriers I deal with give me a problem with that....

if most carriers handled it the way your company does, it would be a real pain in the arse for a lot of people who live close to state borders, as I do.

----------

oh.... and Happy New Year to you!

I can offer some experience having worked directly for GEICO, though in Florida. We would request but not require that an individual get an in-state license, and bind and write the policy just fine. Even if we're talking about the primary named insured (like if in this case you still had an OH license even though you lived in PA).

It was really more of a favor to the customer than anything; the state of Florida wants to see you get the license within a certain time limit of living here or the fees go up.

If her license is valid, active, and infractions are being rated for (as it seems like they are), I doubt this will ever be an issue, as far as insurance goes at least.

Last edited:
Back