Question Regarding Online Auto Quotes

tooyoung00

I am shopping for auto insurance. Did couple online quotes. The question i have is that I got a point on my record for a speeding ticket couple years back. Honestly I am not sure when. So when I filled out the online form, I didn't include any tickets. IF the ticket does comes into effect after I purchase the insurance online, will the premium go up automatically or at end of contract?

Thanks in advance.

You did a couple of online quote requests, and now you are waiting for agents and insurance companies to get back to you with a price? The quotes you have emailed to you, at this point, may not be accurate, regardless of the date of the ticket. It's best to speak with the agents and companies quoting you, to verify the information you provided online, and provide additional information, to get you the best price & right coverage.

Whether you buy from an agent, or buy online, most companies check your motor vehicle report, to confirm the price, before you pay. To avoid a potential problem, talk about your situation with an agent or company representative, before buying.

Last edited:
The quote you recieved was probably based on the information provided. If you call and try to 'purchase' the policy, they will run the MVR and see the ticket and rate it at that point.

When you switch insurance, in most states the carrier has 60 days (or so) for discovery to find things that should have been included at policy inception and to rate it effective the date the policy was put in force. After that, it will wait till the next policy renewal. In truth, in almost all cases, they can give you an accurate premium when you talk about actually buying the policy. It used to take a few days to get MVR's, now you usually get them instantly.

Dan

What they said.

Sometimes people get away with having traffic violations being 'open' and the 'guilt' being undetermined. In that case, I usually get a nice call a year and a half later asking about why their rate went up and they're pissed off that they got away with cheaper rates that whole time, lol.

On the rare occasion that I have run someone's MVR twice, I have noticed a big discrepancy sometimes from one MVR report to the next. the results can sometimes be very inconsistent.

Not to mention that the "plus $1" theory seems to have gained a lot of steam lately (whether it's true or not). There are people who believe it enough to think they can fly under the radar, and under-report violations.

It's no wonder why people try to hide violations. It's because in many cases, they get away with it. The reporting info is not always consistent.

and then it's .... ''Oh yeah, I forgot about that ticket", when it becomes time to bind the policy (no consequences of non-disclosure).

Last edited:
Companies were set to run them more often here in Florida but then the state raised the amount for MVRs from $3 to $9. Progressive's new policy here is to run CLUE after the first policy term just to catch any claims that were open at the time of binding. Agents probably advise clients to switch companies while the claim is open, knowing companies won't re-run reports very soon.

Agents probably advise clients to switch companies while the claim is open, knowing companies won't re-run reports very soon.

I think that's a horrible strategy. I can't think of a single valid reason to ever justify changing companies with an open claim pending. It takes away the company's incentive to make you happy with the claim.

but you're probably right about some agents suggesting it.

You'd probably be asking for higher loss ratios by masking true driving histories.

The type of people trying to save a bunch of money might be wiling to sacrifice an open and eventually shut case. I'm talking fender benders.

I see it happen with new clients when their renewals come up and the claim has been closed since the application. There are shady agents out there that can't take enough ethics CE to care, lol.

There was a Progressive agency whose contract was terminated and somehow we ended up with one of his shady clients through an AOR. Some people, lol.

You'd probably be asking for higher loss ratios by masking true driving histories.

that would be correct. it would hurt your loss ratio when you don't bring in the premium a driver's record warrants. it would be only a slight loss. but if an agent does that enough over time it adds up.

the crazy thing about loss ratios is that non-standard companies tend to have lower loss ratios than standards or preferred companies do.

sounds kind of weird until you consider that they pay a much higher premium and tend not to include comp. and collision coverage.

Yeah, I'm familiar with Allstate in Florida even though I'm not an Allstate agent and I know they won't run new MVR's for years even decades in some cases, lol.

Latest posts

Back