Rates Spike After Not-at-fault Accidents?

sorry scagt83, don't know the answer to that.

----------

Not that surprising actually. He based this on non-standard carriers who tend not to offer the best 'good driver' discounts. Sample size was very limited and only in select areas.

Do it again with standard or preferred carriers and you'll see a different pattern emerge.

Dan

exactly right DJS.

Thank you.

Is that what carfax/car history reports go off of when reporting accidents?

No. It would be a violation of the terms of use of CLUE to do it and realize that CLUE is ran by the insurance industry. Showing accidents has the negative affect of lowering car values. They would not allow this use. The carfax guy once told me that they get it from the body shops. Most body shops don't report to carfax.

Carfax misses a LOT of minor accidents.

I do think they get some info from public police reports as well but most states prohibit using DMV info for this.

Dan

yep. sure did! I know it sounds illogical, but most non-standards compete for the DUI market where an accident wasn't involved. That's why they go so easy on DUI's.

you might also notice how tough they go on reckless op.... which many DUI offenders get their charges lowered down to in order to save their job.

That's the only logical thing I could think of as far as why.

----------

Don't think greater wrong, thing greater insurance risk.

If you get a ticket for following too closely, you must be one aggressive driver.

Curious to see the data on people who die or are injured in accidents involving driving too close vs. driving while impaired. I would wager to impaired driving would be seen as more of a insurance risk than following too close.

However, he is talking about non-standard, so I can see their stance. Got to keep the DUI market happy. How else would politicians stay covered?

That's the only logical thing I could think of as far as why.

----------

Curious to see the data on people who die or are injured in accidents involving driving too close vs. driving while impaired. I would wager to impaired driving would be seen as more of a insurance risk than following too close.

However, he is talking about non-standard, so I can see their stance. Got to keep the DUI market happy. How else would politicians stay covered?

Actually, you have to look at the statistics of things that happen AFTER the initial incident. My guess is if you get a ticket for following to close, you are statistically more likely to get into an accident in the near future then if you have a DUI.

Remember, you are not charged premium on past events but rather on the likelihood of a future event. They use past events as a predictor of future events.

Yes, statistically someone who just got into an accident is FAR more likely to get into another one then the person who hasn't been in an accident in 10 years or more. I think it relates to stress...... I've never really understood the psychology of it, but as a P&C agent, you can watch it happen time and time again.

Dan

another issue I've noticed in the last few months are drivers who were not-at-fault in an accident, but it shows up on their record as an at-fault accident.

I'm not sure if it's the MVR or CLUE report that's incorrectly reporting the results, but it's starting to become a real pain in the ass! It used to happen once every blue moon.... now it's happening once or twice a month.

fortunately, most carriers allow drivers to dispute those charges. but they only give them a few days to come up with documentation showing otherwise, or the rate goes back up as if it's an at-fault accident.

----------

Yes, statistically someone who just got into an accident is FAR more likely to get into another one then the person who hasn't been in an accident in 10 years or more. I think it relates to stress...... I've never really understood the psychology of it, but as a P&C agent, you can watch it happen time and time again.

Dan

there are two types of not-at-fault drivers:

1. the person hit through no fault of their own, and some *** crashes into them.

2. the jerkoff who drives 50 mph in the passing lane.

unfortunately, having a not-at-fault can't differentiate between the two, so both get punished.

Last edited:
The carfax guy once told me that they get it from the body shops. Most body shops don't report to carfax.

Carfax misses a LOT of minor accidents.

I do think they get some info from public police reports as well but most states prohibit using DMV info for this.

Dan

The traffic cop who came out to my accident told me carfax gets their info from police reports. I asked him about insurance, and he did not know the answer to that. But he was certain that writing an accident report would make it appear on carfax.

Traffic Accident Reports are public record if im not mistaken. Many states charge a fee to access them though.

I will be at a body shop Monday. I will ask and see what they say.

Not only does carfax miss a lot of stuff, but they also under-report the severity of accidents a lot. Not on purpose, its just hard to base actual damage off of a random accident report. They only know the basics, like if it was towed, if the damage was functional or not, etc.

Thanks Dan & BlockO for the info.

....there are two types of not-at-fault drivers:

1. the person hit through no fault of their own, and some *** crashes into them.
2. the jerkoff who drives 50 mph in the passing lane.
unfortunately, having a not-at-fault can't differentiate between the two, so both get punished.

No actually there are 3

3. the person who comes out of a parking lot (or where-ever) and finds DAMAGE done to their car (like a HIT n Run). Speaking of which, how would making a claim on a "no-fault-no-charge-to anyone" CLAIM affect one's Insurance Premium...Anyone Know???

I was hit in a parking lot of Home Depot not even in car at the time when I came out someone smashed the side of my car .I called GEICO to ask it I would get a rate increase if I filed a claim.I was told that they used to answer thart question but not anymore you have to file the claim and than they will decide if they will increase your rate or not. My comment to them , that was short for i will get an increase. no comment from the rep.

No actually there are 3

3. the person who comes out of a parking lot (or where-ever) and finds DAMAGE done to their car (like a HIT n Run). Speaking of which, how would making a claim on a "no-fault-no-charge-to anyone" CLAIM affect one's Insurance Premium...Anyone Know???

I saw the other thread first, and answered your question there. Hope it helps. I explained things the best I could with what information you gave.

----------

I was hit in a parking lot of Home Depot not even in car at the time when I came out someone smashed the side of my car .I called GEICO to ask it I would get a rate increase if I filed a claim.I was told that they used to answer thart question but not anymore you have to file the claim and than they will decide if they will increase your rate or not. My comment to them , that was short for i will get an increase. no comment from the rep.

that's the real down side to dealing with the lizard .... you don't get a real agent, you get a rep....

that's like calling a big law firm and asking the switchboard operator for legal advice.

Back