Rear End Collision X3

tridigent

About a year ago I was rear ended by a municipal vehicle while waiting at a traffic light. Due to a very hectic schedule on my part, the claims process is still an ongoing event. Flash forward to April 2017, same thing happens. This time, the other party's insurance company wants to make my vehicle a total loss and pay me 2/3 of what the retail replacement cost would be, even though the vehicle is driveable. Guess what happens this past Sunday afternoon?? Thats right folks, get nailed a third time, only this time there was a buffer (BMW) between me and the irresponsible party. Any suggestions on the proper handling of multiple claims? I have not notified my carrier as they told me I wasn't covered for the first incident, so I assume the following incidents would produce the same response.

Was the car fixed between any of these incidents?

Ironically, insurance companies deal with this a lot. Accidents tend to happen in a series.

How it works:
Accident 1: Pays the value of the damage done in the first accident.
Accident 2: Simple answer, pays the value of the damage done, minus the cost of the first repair, that is covered by accident 1.
Accident 3: Again, simple answer, pays for the damage done, minus the cost of repairs for Accident 2 and Accident 1 (yeah, probably not a lot here).

There is no double / triple dipping for the damage. Each party pays for their additional damage, not for existing damage. This also helps explain the settlement offer from company 2, they get to subtract the damage from accident 1.

The actual formulas they use are a bit more complicated, but the outcome is about the same as subtracting for the previous accident.

Time for a new car.

No repairs were done, I was actually trying to get a second estimate that the municipal authorities requested...a month after submitting the original claim.

Back