Reasons to Buy Personal Umbrella Policy

miyahiraj

I recently heard something like this:
You need Personal Umbrella to cover "company owned, company insured" auto as underlying info re, Auto, if you have DUI (SR22?), because Commercial Auto/Umbrella does not cover DUI, but Personal Umbrella does.....?

Is this State specific, or carrier specific, or new rules, or what?

Anyone pls help.:goofy:

Re: Reason to Buy Personal Umbrella

Bottom line, don't drink and drive. Or, at least, don't drink while driving the company car.....

I don't think a personal umbrella will cover you while you are at work driving a company vehicle. It's not clear to me how you are trying to put the pieces together.

Is your question related to a worker that has a DUI being listed on a commercial policy? Or is it a worker gets a DUI while working?

Dan

In an accident, the injured party will generally sue both the owner and the driver of the car. In the case of a company vehicle, those people are not necessarily one in the same. The company auto policy generally covers an employee driving with permission, but if the suit is against ABC Inc. and John Doe individually, it's conceivable that John Doe's personal auto or umbrella could come in to play as excess coverage for him.

Realistically, though, the company's insurance limits are probably much, much higher than John Doe's and will be more than enough to satisfy the suit.

As for the DUI, I'm not sure about denying coverage for that. Most auto policies probably include the standard language about denying coverage for criminal acts, however, for practical purposes, insurance carriers don't seem to abuse this exclusion, i.e driving 61 in a 55 mph zone is technically a "criminal act".

Be straightforward with your carrier and your client. You can certainly cover a driver who's had a DUI, and the insurance policies will generally cover an accident that caused by a DUI.

I recently heard something like this:
You need Personal Umbrella to cover "company owned, company insured" auto as underlying info re, Auto, if you have DUI (SR22?), because Commercial Auto/Umbrella does not cover DUI, but Personal Umbrella does.....?

Is this State specific, or carrier specific, or new rules, or what?

Anyone pls help.:goofy:

My guess is carrier specific...call your underwriter or look in the policy jacket to get the exact definitions.

The driver's personal auto policy responds to the state's request for a SR22 filing in connection with a suspended license for DUI. A personal umbrella policy is purchased for the purpose of providing an additional amount of liability insurance. :)

i would hate to see the rate for an umbrella with a DUI, i have never quoted that before

If a driver has an accident while under the influence, the umbrella will cover this. There is no exclusions for your liability simply because it occurred out of a DUI. I think that’s where you are going with this right? The umbrella is set up to cover someone in the event their primary policy liability is exhausted. SO lets say someone kills another persons in an accident they had because they were drinking and driving, the umbrella would still cover this. But keep in mind, at that point the umbrella will be non-renewed. You have to be a "good driver"to obtain an umbrella. This means no more than 1 minor violation or accident and no majors such as DUI's.

i would hate to see the rate for an umbrella with a DUI, i have never quoted that before

We just got signed up with personalumbrella.com and they have that listed as one of the classes that they WILL write... I'm kind of curious myself to see how crazy the rate will be when I quote one.

:)Thank you, all, for your replies. I myself was puzzled, but it turned out that my sub misunderstood or misquoted some underwriter's advice. All cleared now. I am impressed with this Forum. Will utilize this more. Tks!

Back