Removed from Business Auto Insurance Coverage - Any Options?

mapps123

Long story short... my license was revoked February 2016 for my second DUI. I was granted a Relief Driving Permit (RDP) in October 2016, to drive for work purposes. However, my company's insurance will not cover me to drive a company vehicle. I am eligible for full reinstatement in February 2019.

I'm wondering if there are any options? A rider/waiver/exception that could be requested of the insurance company so that I could be granted coverage? I value my job highly (it's a good job, and the means to support my family). Hoping to figure out a way to be eligible for coverage before my employer finds cause to terminate my employment (I asked if I could drive my own car with my own insurance, the answer was no. Has to be a company vehicle with the company's insurance).

I'd appreciate any insurance expert that might be willing to assist. My last drink was January 3rd 2016, going on over a year and a half sober, and just want to keep my life moving forward positively as best I can, to move past my mistakes.

Thank you in advance!

The bad news is that your employer already has cause to fire you.

Insurance underwriters go back 5 years on DUIs. An exception is unlikely on commercial insurance. The state might forgive you in 2019 but you won't be driving for your employer until 2021 when you can qualify on his insurance, unless he finds a more liberal carrier before then.

The reason you can't drive your car in the business of your employer is because your employer will also get sued for any accident you cause by work related driving of your own car.

And with you expressly removed from coverage, his insurance won't cover him or defend him and he'll be out in the cold for an obscene amount of money. I'm betting his insurance company has told him that.

If driving is an integral part of your job duties, your days are probably numbered. If it's only incidental and your employer can get along without you driving, then you might keep your job.

In case you are wondering, my background includes underwriting, agency, and claims.

Thanks for the reply adjusterjack. I do realize I'm most definitely facing an uphill battle, but will make the best of the situation at hand.

You mention that "an exception is unlikely on commercial insurance." So an exception is a possibility? If so, what are some circumstances where one might be granted?

You are reading to much into the word 'unlikely'. In this context it means if you can prove that you were not driving DUI and just waiting for the DMV to remove the conviction, they may waive it AFTER the DMV does the update.

Other then that, its more then unlikely. Just I've learned to never say never, but I don't know of other circumstances.

Dan

You mention that "an exception is unlikely on commercial insurance." So an exception is a possibility? If so, what are some circumstances where one might be granted?

Obviously there is no exception with the current insurance company though it's remotely possible that this insurance company may relent in years to come as you have accumulated more year of sobriety. Just don't count on it happening any time soon. And it may never happen.

Other insurance companies may be inclined to allow you drive company vehicles for an appropriate surcharge but think thousands, not hundreds. Then it would be up to your employer to decide if your driving is worth paying thousands more for insurance.

Basically the only circumstance is time. The more years you are sober the better your chances for reconsideration though the insurance industry, in general, pegs that at 5 years.

"I asked if I could drive my own car with my own insurance, the answer was no. Has to be a company vehicle with the company's insurance."

Why is that?

I thought this might have answered that question:

The reason you can't drive your car in the business of your employer is because your employer will also get sued for any accident you cause by work related driving of your own car.

I thought this might have answered that question:

"The reason you can't drive your car in the business of your employer is because your employer will also get sued for any accident you cause by work related driving of your own car."

Under the ISO PAP, your employer is also an insured for vicarious liability:

B. "Insured" as used in this Part means:
3. For "your covered auto", any person or organization but only with respect to legal responsibility for acts or omissions of a person for whom coverage is afforded under this Part.

Of course, this assumes the procured auto policy is comparable to the ISO form in this respect and has no "insured" exclusions nor business exclusions. The employer would also expect to have access to limits comparable to the BAP. All of this might be impossible or unaffordable.

"The reason you can't drive your car in the business of your employer is because your employer will also get sued for any accident you cause by work related driving of your own car."

Under the ISO PAP, your employer is also an insured for vicarious liability:

B. "Insured" as used in this Part means:
3. For "your covered auto", any person or organization but only with respect to legal responsibility for acts or omissions of a person for whom coverage is afforded under this Part.

Of course, this assumes the procured auto policy is comparable to the ISO form in this respect and has no "insured" exclusions nor business exclusions. The employer would also expect to have access to limits comparable to the BAP. All of this might be impossible or unaffordable.

I thought we were in the risk management, not risk taking business?

There are so many reasons that would be a bad idea.

I feel for the OP, but ultimately the blame lies with him. He got a DUI and now he has to accept the consequences.

Back