Rental Car Hitting Wife's Car

rseth123

Folks:

Made a stupid mistake. While backing up my rental car, I ended up hitting my wife's car. I have a full coverage on my rental car but I guess Supplimental Liability will not cover my wife's car because of exclusions. Is this correct?

Your wife's car would be covered by its own collision. You'll have any deductible you owe on the rental, PLUS your wife's collision deductible. (Same as if you backed in to one of your cars with the other - two deductibles, two claims since you can't sue yourself.)

Agreed.

Also need to make sure the rental car coverage has some kind of loss of use on it or the rental car company might get pissy.

Thanks Folks:

Rental: I have full coverage and there is no concept of deductible, so I am okay on that part.

For my wife's car, since Supplimental Liability Excludes the coverage of some hitting someone belongs to your own household, so which is why i guess we need to go through our own insurance.

Right?
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
Your wife's car would be covered by its own collision. You'll have any deductible you owe on the rental, PLUS your wife's collision deductible. (Same as if you backed in to one of your cars with the other - two deductibles, two claims since you can't sue yourself.)

My rental will be covered through my rental insurance, so I dont have to worry about that one.

Last edited:
You've got it.
This type of 'oops' happens more often then you might imagine.

Depending on your deductible and the damage to your wifes car, you might just have it repaired. This way, nothing goes on your insurance that effects your premiums. This is one of the nice benefits to the rental company insurance.

Dan

You've got it.
This type of 'oops' happens more often then you might imagine.

Depending on your deductible and the damage to your wifes car, you might just have it repaired. This way, nothing goes on your insurance that effects your premiums. This is one of the nice benefits to the rental company insurance.

Dan

Thanks a lot Dan!! I agree but I will still give it a shot with Supplemental insurance.

Back