Rental Car Insurance

All Visa credit cards have the coverage as a benefit to card holders. Some Mastercards might have it but you'll need to check with your card. That insurance is expensive. It's up to you whether you want to gamble and go without it. Check with your credit cards though. Ask if they have coverage for rental cars.

Read your auto insurance policy. With my companies in Michigan, there is automatic coverage if you rent a car up to the highest limits on your policy...

For example... if you have full coverage on one of your vehicles, that coverage will transfer to a rental car. If you carry liability only on your personal vehicles, then buy the coverage. The only thing I have seen the rental company doing is charging 20 dollars per day loss of use if you wreck the rental car... but I think they are only allowed to do that if they have no other cars to rent out.

But read your policy

Most insurance policies will cover it up to the limits of your highest covered vehicle. However one thing most people dont know is that while the insurance company may pay for damage to the rental car they will not pay for loss of use. So you should check with the rental car company to make sure they will not be charging you for loss of rental if you are in an accident.

vaagency.com
igbert.com

Back