Repairs Made Before Insurance Ok.

TheGdog

So I rear ended another car. Had mine towed to a shop I trust. They said they were going have to figure it out since its going through insurance.

Filed my claim. Insurance company basically told me it might be a total loss. Needed to go to an authorized repair shop for the estimate.

Talked to the repair shop briefly. They said" insurance compnay can't tell you where to get it fixed." They had a guy coming by to do an estimate.

The other night I had a thought of horror. I never told the shop it might be a total. What happens if they din't realize and started repairs on this thing?? I'm freaking out right now!!

Went by today to talk to them again. They were closed and the car wasn't in the main lot. Might be in the back lot. I sent them a message, but no idea when they will get it.

Most of my friends said I was freaking out, and that no repair shop would start repairs before I had the estimate. But what if? What would happen? Any advise? Would I be able to cancel the claim in my car and pay for it myself. I'm sick to my stomach in worry.

Then you will have a really good looking paper weight lol

Seriously i bet it will be fine, they probably wont touch it until they talk to you first.

Most body shops are really good about wanting to know how they will get paid before they start work. They have all worked with insurance companies before and know the inspector needs to see the car first.

If the car isn't drive-able, they should send someone to the car, rather than towing it. Some companies will tow it and then tow it back.

Your friend is right, they can't say where to get it fixed, but they can say how to get the check to do the repairs. Don't confuse these 2 different steps.

Dan

Just wanted to update this thread. They didn't do any repairs. But after some advise from a friend, I was able to call the insurance company and tell them I wanted to repair my vehicle out of pocket. She said my coverage wouldn't change. Avoided the whole totaled thing and all the rigamarole in a crazy busy month for me. So I got it repaired myself for a fraction of the cost of the full bodyshop repair. Thankfully got that worked out.

If they didn't approve it, good chance your screwed but you can still fight it but might go negative if it went over the total amount, unless you go to small claims to get excess amount.

Gdog, I smell something......

I manage a body shop. There have been zero "total loss" jobs that cost less than the insurance would have paid. I have had a few pay MORE than the insurance check, and then we dealt with the whole Salvage Title thing.....

The only time a total loss costs less than the shop estimate, is when there's no insurance, and I can buy the car from you in exchange for storage fees and fix it myself on my own time. VERY common.

Unless you're married to someone that runs a shop, or your guy made considerable shortcuts, there's no way you made repairs at "a fraction of the cost".

Last edited:
Back