Sharing Collision Insurance Under Learner's Permit

leden

I am over 25 and just started to learn driving. I know the basics, but need a lot more practice, so I am considering getting an insurance so I can practice with my own vehicle (a typical 4-door sedan). My wife, on the other hand, drives well and has kept a clean record with the Progressive insurance (they already lowered the rate).

What are pros and cons (including hidden catches/gotchas) in case I, an unexperienced driver (with a learner's permit only), decide to share the car insurance with an experience driver (my wife).
Does this makes sense at all or I am better off getting a separate insurance?

For example, would my wife lose "trust" and/or get higher price rates if I cause repeated accidents while on a shared insurance policy?
Also, suppose I have some accidents while driving under Learner's permit with a company X; would I still be considered a "high-risk driver" by company X after I get the driver's licence?
(As far as I know, my driving record will be cleared when I get the licence.)

Why should agents, who get paid commissions, answer your question, when you obviously went to progressive direct and avoided agents.....

My recommendation is to not plan to crash a car.

The overwhelming majority of the time, you are better off buying insurance together, rather than separate. Your driving record will stay with you once you get your license as well, I don't think any state has a clean slate provision for learners permits converting to licenses.

And F150 - questions are always welcome. An agent can choose to answer it or not.

If you are married and live under the same roof, the only way to go is to "share" as you say.

Have her add your car to the Progressive policy. Once you have an actual Driver's License, she can add you as a driver. At least that's how we do it in Ohio.

FYI - If you have accidents and get tickets on a permit, you may not even be able to get a license, at least for a while. And any driver licensed less than a certain amount of time (3-5 years, it varies) is considered "high risk" no matter how old you are.

Some companies will require you to be listed as a spouse on there policy. In the long run it will be cheaper for you too ge added to your wifes policy and add your car.

Back