Should I Keep Insurance on Car my Ex Got in Divorce but He Kept my Name on Title?

renay572

Hi, my ex and I bought a car jointly together while we were married and we are both on the title. In our divorce, the car went to him and he was supposed to cooperate with me to remove my name from the title (the car is paid off). However, he refuses to do so and I don't have the finances at the moment to hire a lawyer and take him back to court. Am I required to keep insurance on the car to protect myself, even though I have no access to the car and it clearly went to him in the divorce decree? I am just worried as he is a deadbeat and won't get his own insurance and I don't want to be liable if he wrecks and injures someone. Can they still sue me, and should I keep up the insurance to protect against this? I want to cancel the policy as I am paying all of it as I am afraid I can be held liable but the rates keep going up and I also don't want him to benefit from me being responsible and keeping up the insurance.

Is it likely that someone could win if they sued me for injuries he caused? He doesn't work but I have a fairly well paying job. I tried to just get an umbrella policy in my name but the companies all required me to insure any vehicles of which I appeared on the title. What should I do to reasonably protect myself, is it necessary to keep up the insurance? I can drop him from the policy but will he still be considered to have my permission to drive the car and thus be covered by my insurance? Thanks so much for any help and advice!

Hi, my ex and I bought a car jointly together while we were married and we are both on the title. In our divorce, the car went to him and he was supposed to cooperate with me to remove my name from the title (the car is paid off). However, he refuses to do so and I don't have the finances at the moment to hire a lawyer and take him back to court. Am I required to keep insurance on the car to protect myself, even though I have no access to the car and it clearly went to him in the divorce decree? I am just worried as he is a deadbeat and won't get his own insurance and I don't want to be liable if he wrecks and injures someone. Can they still sue me, and should I keep up the insurance to protect against this? I want to cancel the policy as I am paying all of it as I am afraid I can be held liable but the rates keep going up and I also don't want him to benefit from me being responsible and keeping up the insurance.

Is it likely that someone could win if they sued me for injuries he caused? He doesn't work but I have a fairly well paying job. I tried to just get an umbrella policy in my name but the companies all required me to insure any vehicles of which I appeared on the title. What should I do to reasonably protect myself, is it necessary to keep up the insurance? I can drop him from the policy but will he still be considered to have my permission to drive the car and thus be covered by my insurance? Thanks so much for any help and advice!

Have you asked you car insurance agent?

I hate deadbeats.

Start by trying to remove yourself from the title. Contact DMV, with a copy of your official divorce decree. I know states are different, but in NJ, that's what I did. Then I notified my insurance company that I was no longer on the title, had access to the car, and he didn't live there. They then contacted him to set up a policy of his own. I would also send him a certified letter after you do anything, so he can't say, I didn't know.

Back